Author Topic: Honeysuckle branches vs willow, dogwood, goldenrod, and horseweed  (Read 6218 times)

Offline richpierce

A while ago I asked about using thoneysuckle hedge shoots (Amur honeysuckle, not the viny type) as arrows.
Report:  I found the wood seasoned well in 3 months indoors and can be heat straightened well.  The pith is small in diameter.  The wood has almost no visible grain.  My initial success has been with naturally tapered shafts running from 5/16 at the nock end to 7/16 at the point end, with 3/8" hex nuts screwed onto the tapered tip and duct tape "Seminole" fletching.  I just wanted to see what spine etc worked.  I shot them from 3 bows ranging from 45 to 52 pounds pull and they shot well and are strong too.  I think these would hold up really well.

If you have hedges near you look for upright shoots coming off the main stem of the bush, and choose ones thicker than you think you need.  They do shrink some on seasoning.  This could be an abundant source for shoot arrows.

My willow shoots of the same diameter shrunk too much and have weak spine.

Some dogwood shoots and branches I found appear to be excellent for spine and strength but I have not shot them yet.

Thick goldenrod shafts I collected turned out to be very weak in spine and I did not bother to try to shoot them, as I was afraid they would break.  I think that over 35#, these would flex badly unless the bow was center shooting.

Horseweed or mare's tail has good spine and is very light but does not look strong enough for long life.  Anyone have luck with these lasting?  I do not want to invest a lot of work if arrows will shatter.  I expect to have to make hardwood nocks and foreshafts for these.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Honeysuckle branches vs willow, dogwood, goldenrod, and horseweed
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 07:02:45 pm »
I've used Amur honeysuckle a time or two for arrows, and I liked it too. I made a couple horseweed arrows one time, and didn't like'em-too flimsy and light. Where do you live? There are a lot of good arrow plants out there in most areas of the country. You can split good shaft blanks from sections of log, also.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline richpierce

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 12:19:30 am »
Living in St. Louis, Missouri.  Always looking for bow wood or arrow material.  Today I found a fresh cut 6' long black locust log about 11" in diameter, along a railroad line.  Should be able to get 4 or 6 staves from it, and who knows, some of them may be workable.  You never know till they're split and debarked!

shootinbud

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 12:28:17 am »
 i've heard that bl checks badly if debarked ?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 12:50:28 am »
Definitely seal the back if you debark!     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline richpierce

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 06:12:29 pm »
I think debarking black locust is essential for preventing worm damage.  I have been splitting locust into staves, painting the whole area exposed by removing the bark, glue-sealing the ends, air drying outside for a couple of months.  Then I bring it into a less-heated part of the house for a while, then start removing sapwood after another month or so.  This seems to do the trick.  I did hurry my first black locust stave and got belly cracks (longitudinal) but they don't seem to have hurt the bow.  Nothing showed up on the back.