Author Topic: Point & nock alignment  (Read 3627 times)

Offline Red Dwarf

Point & nock alignment
« on: December 31, 2007, 09:06:54 pm »
Being pretty new to the whole archery scene I would appreciate some suggestions on the best way(s) to get the points (incl. broadheads) and knocks correctly aligned on my arrows.

Thanks

Red Dwarf

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Point & nock alignment
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 11:32:39 pm »
Depends on what kind of shafts and nocks you're using. With doweled commercial shafts or hand-planed shafts from boards, if you're cutting self nocks, you want to cut the groove across the grain so that the shaft doesn't split on you. With cane or shoot shafts it doesn't make much difference which way you align the nock, except that many people like to put the stiffest side of the arrow against the bow. With broadheads or stone points, I usually align them with the string. Some people align them perpendicular to the string. It doesn't really matter as long as the point spins true with no wobble when you spin it on its tip.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Red Dwarf

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 02:40:46 pm »
Hillbilly

I should have been more specific with my question.
What I would like to know is how to make sure that your points spin true?

Red Dwarf

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 03:31:08 pm »
RD, I use pitch glue to set stone and trade points in shoot and cane arrows. If the point needs adjusting I just heat it a bit, adjust and them wrap them. Even after wrapping, adjusting is possible with a little heat. Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 04:31:31 pm »
Like Pat said. Just spin them on their tips and if they wobble, heat it up and adjust. Same with glue-on field points and broadheads. Use hot-melt glue to put them on, and you can spin, heat, and adjust if neccessary.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.