Author Topic: Keenan and Dave's big adventure...."excellent"  (Read 7969 times)

Offline juniper junkie

Keenan and Dave's big adventure...."excellent"
« on: December 31, 2007, 11:17:00 pm »
we got back from a harvesting trip today, found some really nice syringa in the bottom of a canyon, was tricky getting it out, but we got some nice staves and atlatl darts, spears, and arrow shafts! Keenan was blaming me for him over doing himself so soon after surgery, and was going to tell his wife it was my fault  >:D I said that he was on his own and I didnt force him. he replied " that would be like giving a bottle of wine to a wino and telling him not to drink"  ;D I am still a little concerned that his wife may kick my @#%^.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline juniper junkie

Re: Keenan and Dave's big adventure...."excellent"
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 11:19:42 pm »
another pic....

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 11:21:23 pm »
Wow, Ill bet you could make a bow out of a few of those.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

wvfknapper

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 11:40:58 pm »
Looks Like a good haul, nice straight stuff too!

Hope everyone has a Happy New Year

wvflintknapper

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 11:44:15 pm »
 ;D Party on dudes...Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

snakebow

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 11:57:54 pm »
Nice haul. But if his wife wants to kick your @#%&*. Just tell her that you can run faster scared than she can mad.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 12:01:08 am »
  Dave, you poor fool,,My wife just read this post and boy are you in trouble,,,lol,,,,Just kidding, She was glad that I was able to get out for some fun and has come to a mindset that if I overdo things then I will get what I deserve,,,lol,,,
  This really was a fun afternoon and an awesome way to end 2007.  We probably looked like a couple of kids in a candy store. Dave really has a sick sense of humor though, seemed every time he found something narly, twisted and knotted, he tried to tell me that He was sure that I could make a bow out of it.  He knows full well that I'm a sucker for character so he'd have me cutting the nightmares while he was going for the 6' clear and clean,,,LOL,,  
   I'm looking forward to our next outing. We are trying to plan a weekend get together to do some arrow and bow building. Thanks again Dave,,,,,,,,  Keenan

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 01:00:35 am »
Looks like you guys made a good haul.
   Keenan, it is so good hearing about you going on the outing. Way to end 2007. Looks like 2008 will have more Keenan bows here on PA. ;)
JJ, Thanks for taking Keenan along. Now he has no more excuses for just laying around for months again! ;D
   Looks like only about17 minutes left this year so...Happy 2008 to everyone. Good Health and Prosperity to all!      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2008, 03:46:05 am »
Nice going guys! I love that syringa stuff. Wish I could find some around my neck of the woods. Say, Dave is there any of that stuff around Glass Buttes? If so could you point it out to me when I get out there for the gathering?

David T.
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2008, 12:30:18 pm »
David, I think there is some growing on the side of the butte where we went to the rainbow pit. how long are you planning on staying at the knap-in this year?

Offline michbowguy

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2008, 12:46:43 pm »
coud one of you guys take a pic of the tree or shrub that came off of, without any butts bieng kicked of course!
ill look for that around here..if i knew what to look fer.   thanks
jamie

Offline Keenan

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2008, 01:21:36 pm »
Thanks Pat,  With Friends like Dave, I don't think I'll have any time for laying around,,,,(teaching me to make arrows) as if I need another hobby,,,,,LOL 
  Jamie;  Sorry Bro we had intended to take a camera and get pics will harvesting.... Both of us thought the other had brought the camera.   Dave said He may go back for more today.  Don't think that I can sneak out today and still have my glutamuss maximus left in tack.   LOL     Keenan

jamie

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2008, 03:08:59 pm »
sweet . how does it work as bow wood.? glad to hear you are back out there keenan

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2008, 04:29:28 pm »
Hey Dave! I think I should be arriving at the Buttes in the evening of the 21st and staying maybe four to five days.  I will try and bring a pop up canopy this time so we can have someplace to knapp and do cooking and stuff under some shelter this time. Being out in the open during the snow kinda got to me. Also, you ever here about something called a rocket stove? I'm thinking of building a small one to bring to the buttes. Supposed to work better than a propane stove and uses very little wood and very efficiently burns it too! Its also really portable.

You and Keenan look like you are having a blast out there. Just wish I lived closer by and I would be out there helping you guys collect all that fun stuff! Cant wait to hear about how you two make Syringa arrows.

Hope also to do a little rabbit hunting with bows and arrows while we are all there. You up for it? Maybe even some Coyote hunting too! Hmmm! Do you know what the regs are for small game and varmint hunting in Oregon?

I guess Billy is not going to be able to make it this time.  Seems like he is really busy with his new job. Won't be the same without Billy there and all his energy! ;-)

I am going to bring a lot of aspirin this time. Being up around 6,000 feet elevation when your not used to it can sure give ya a headache when digging in the pits.

When there I kept looking around at the other cones and wondering what type of obsidian was on them. I get the feeling that most people stay on little Butte and never go to the others. May be some prime Virgin quarries over on them never touched by modern man. Shall we check them out? Still looking for that Jade green obsidian that I was told is out there somewhere.

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Staver

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2008, 09:30:48 pm »
Wow!!  That's quite a pile of lumber you got there juniper junkie :P.  Looks like really nice stuff.  All you have to do is add strings, points, and feathers ;)  Do you have any pics of what that syringa looked like before you harvested it?