Author Topic: Understanding Overshot.  (Read 1176 times)

Offline Zuma

Understanding Overshot.
« on: June 01, 2014, 11:47:37 pm »
Thought I would post some overshots.  I have been lucky to have some good rock for a change.
To me an overshot is a mistake. No way intentional as it usually causes as much damage as it could help in initial reduction.
Not to say you can't make an overshot happen intentionally on a large preform or core but the odds are against it IMO. It happens to me when the power applied is a little excessive or perhaps the platform and blow just connect better than imagined.
 Better odds when thinning narrow points but really not wanted then as you will be harming fairly finished edges.
An overshot crosses the face of your work from the platform and then curls back around  the opposite edge before detaching. This curl can be small or quite big.
 An Edge to Edge flake or spall (most preferable) shoots straight off the edge into space with no damage to the edge. Known as coast to coast in knapping circles.
Some like to use foreign names for this (outre passe) but neither is an overshot.
I will post some. Please post yours with as much info as you can.
Thanks, Zuma
PS the yellow jasper is a good overshot as the curl is so so tiny.
The last one is cool because it takes off a square edge. Very lucky.
Humm, it doesn't curl though. Can it be overshot?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 10:29:26 am by Zuma »
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.