Author Topic: Coretex Point  (Read 1496 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Coretex Point
« on: May 30, 2014, 12:52:18 am »
The granddaughters asked if they could work on arrowheads so we went out to the shop and made some gravel.  I tried to make a point out of a spall that had precious little flint.  I assumed it wouldn't work, but was surprised to find flakes would run in the coretex (which turned red in heat treating).  I haven't done much knapping so the point isn't that great, but was so shocked it worked I thought I'd post a picture.

As always, I had a hump at the base.  Uncharacteristically,  I was able to drive flakes clear across the point on both sides to thin it.  Messed up a pretty decent flake pattern, but  was glad to get it thinner.  Sadly, I knocked the tip off right at the very end, shortening the point a bit and made it lose the nice triangle shape it had. :'(

George
St Paul, TX

Offline flungonin

Re: Coretex Point
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 01:43:40 am »
Yes but still I think it turned out pretty nice.

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 01:48:05 am »
look's good from my house George, really like the color
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 08:09:28 am »
Well you gave yourself a fairly stern critique there George. We are our own worse critics. From where I'm sitting there ain't nothing wrong with that point, love the colors too :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 08:36:48 am »
That point looks great George and I bet it would have no trouble making meat. Those are some cool colors, too.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Tower

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 09:38:00 am »
Great looking point.  I'd make a necklace outta it. It sure is purddy! 
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 09:51:17 am »
Thanks guys.  Paul, I see you're an early riser too.  The older I get the earlier I wake up it seems.  I need to bring my young friend Jack out to your place for another lesson.  He got one from Don last weekend.  I'm still peeling from that sunburn.  I could use more thinning help myself.  Would like to sit with Patrick again too.  I miss that Cross Plains lease.  And Eddie, my last few shots with stone points have been really embarrassing.  I will try again though.  Good idea Don, I really liked the one you were sporting.  I can't remember, was that a bone or wood short shaft?

George
St Paul, TX

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 10:15:38 am »
I have seen some cortex that will flake like flint, it surprised me also. That is a really nice point.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Dalton Knapper

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 11:48:30 am »
Pretty good point to make from gravel! Always thin the base and tip first before you start on the middle and that might solve your base hump issues! Keep knappin'.

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 11:55:23 am »
George,
Great to see you posting some points. That one looks very nice. Really wish we had some free time to come to TX and knap with the pro's.
Knapper
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2014, 08:51:39 am »
I would like to get together with everybody again and cross plains was a perfect place :'(. Give me a holler any time George. You and your friend are more than welcome, I could use a little tune up myself.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Stringman

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2014, 09:32:17 am »
I don't think you have the right glasses on, George. That point looks great! Love the color contrast and size symmetry and notches all look A+.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2014, 09:49:30 am »
Killer point George! No need to critique it, it turned out great :D

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956