Author Topic: Handle -Wrapping with leather?  (Read 14665 times)

Offline BigWapiti

Handle -Wrapping with leather?
« on: January 01, 2008, 02:28:25 am »
I see some nice bows with stiched handles of leather.  I've been searching for a how-to or a build-a-long for the best way to do it -- am I missing it? Can someone give some pointers on how to do it?  Thanks! -m
Mike B.
Central Washington State
"Take a kid hunting, it'll make a WORLD of difference" -me

Offline lowell

Re: Handle -Wrapping with leather?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 10:29:14 am »
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 11:15:18 am »
I was going to reccomend ferrets site, and also Sparky's (Roger) was helpful to me - sorry, don't know how to post the actual site but their here :).

When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 01:05:36 pm »
Perfect fellers!  Thanks!

I think I like the wrapped handle now instead of the full stitched leather.  I suppose I'll have to dig in and try to make another bow, trying both to see which I like best. :)  This is rather addicting.

Mike
Mike B.
Central Washington State

tradrick

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 01:13:45 am »
Ferrit's site is good.I use it myself.However I would'nt mind seeing GregB do a builalong on his stiching work.I would like to learn how to stich the top and bottom of the leather grip to make it a little more appealing.So how about it GregB? tradrick

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 07:14:40 am »
I like a cordage wrapped handle, the smaller diameter hemp cord from wally world works good.
I thin some elmers glue down and saturate the handle, after its dry I use a coat or 2 of spar varnish.
Provides a sure grip and is weatherproof.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 04:11:17 pm »
Dana, that sounds of interest.  Would you mind posting a picture of a finished hemp cord handle?  I'd like to see (or hear) how its done.  I suppose that stuff could be dyed as well?  I recall seeing tan colored cordage, but I'd like black.  Thinking soaking the roll in Rit dye might do it - maybe even give an interesting pattern soaking it while on the roll. ??

I'm also curious where folks get their leather and cord when building a stitched handle.  Unfortunately, my hunting skills (time, really) has been lacking - I have no hides.  But I did pick up an old leather coat from Goodwill, and have it stripped into pieces.  A little thin, but I'm using contact cement to see if I can stack the pieces to get it thicker/stronger.  Maybe I'll give that old cow a second life. :)

And the cord to stitch, leather shoe string??

Mike
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 04:15:17 pm by BigWapiti »
Mike B.
Central Washington State

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 04:39:10 pm »
Here are a few I did with the hemp from Wally World that Dana talked about. After I wrap the hemp around the handle area, I saturate it with Massey finish...2ton epoxy thinned with acetone.
   The last 2 pics are of "Trouble Maker" the wrap was the first time I tried the hemp and it was a necessity because this was the 4th time I attempted to hold this bow together. It is a tri-lam bow and the lam splices at the handle area and the handle riser kept coming apart. This held it all together.   Pat

[attachment deleted by admin]
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 05:06:12 pm »
Thanks Dana, I may give that a shot.  This method seems to make for a good all weather bow.
Mike B.
Central Washington State

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 05:13:55 pm »
I'm beginning to prefer this type of handle wrap for hunting bows. No matter what the weather is you get a good purchase on the handle.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2008, 05:26:15 pm »
Here's my 3 Bears bows I posted last week all are hemp cord dyed black with liquid Rit dye,
Pat I'm going to have to try the Massey finish it should dry alot faster with 5 min epoxy.
Herw's a few pics.

"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 07:28:40 pm »
I am by no means an expert on this subject,if you go to Wal Mart or the equivalent back in the craft area they have an adhesive called fabric tack comes in squeeze bottle this stuff is great.made for leather material etc it is completely waterproof made to use on clothing and be put in washer, I use it to wrap leather on my bow handles,do cell phone cases etc, when I sew leather I use to stick edges together before stitching ,for laminating its great,no painting two surfaces and waiting I like it better than contact cement enclosed photos sorry they were taken with twenty dollar digital camera

The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's