Author Topic: rotator cuff surgery!  (Read 7133 times)

Offline H Rhodes

rotator cuff surgery!
« on: June 11, 2014, 01:15:54 am »
Looks like I am gonna have to have surgery on my left shoulder and I won't be shooting a bow for a while.  Have any of you guys had this operation?  I am wondering what to expect.  I hope that I get to hunt this fall.  I had a slight rotator cuff tear a couple of years ago, and last week after running the chainsaw one day, it started hurting again - big time.  Pain got bad enough to send my stubborn self to the doc.  He gave me pain meds and something for inflammation and set me up with the surgeon, who I see on the 18th.   How long a road back is it likely to be before I am shooting a bow again?   :(   
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline bubby

Re: rotator cuff surgery!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 02:50:35 am »
my dad had both done, hate to tell you this but shoulders are a bitch in rehab, probably not what you wanted to hear, hope yours goes well howard
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 03:33:27 am »
Thanks bubby.  I am not looking forward to it.  It's been nagging at me for a while.  It will be good to have it over and done with. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 05:51:57 am »
I haven't,but I no it ant good. Do what the Doc says and you should be fine. Good luck with it and keep us updated. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 06:32:42 am »
I just had my right shoulder done last Nov 1st.  You are in for a lot of pain and a long road to recovery.  The surgery is not bad at all, but the rehab is no fun at all.  I am still sore in my shoulder and have not shot any bows yet.  I am pulling on a sling shot some now and then.  My Dr. said one year minimum for a full recovery.  There are others that I have heard about that can do things in six months, not mine.  I guess it depends on how bad the damage is, and mine was pretty sever.  I wish you luck, but to be honest,,,,,the rehab is no fun at all, but you have to do it.  You will get through it for sure, just make sure you do exactly what the dr. and rehab people say to do, and nothing more.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 07:35:37 am »
Not what I was wanting to hear....   Thanks guys.  I'll let y'all know how it goes.   Maybe it won't be too bad. ???
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

blackhawk

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 07:38:00 am »
Sorry to hear that Howard...best of luck to ya

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 08:48:04 am »
Thanks.  Hopefully, my injury isn't too severe.  I haven't lost much strength or range of motion - it just hurts like hell.  Y'all keep me in your prayers.  There is no physical pain to compare to seeing your bows hanging there on the hook and not being able to shoot them or a work bench with tools that you can't use. >:(   This is gonna suck for a while.  I will be back at it as soon as I can.   :)
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 09:20:16 am »
Howard, sorry to here that...I know how you love to hunt and shoot...wishing you a speedy recovery and prayers sent bud...
                                       Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 10:00:03 am »
best of luck Howard, I hope all goe's well.

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 08:07:37 pm »
Sorry to hear that Howard...best of luck to ya

My thoughts too....just remember during rehab "no pain no gain"  :) ;)
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2014, 08:28:27 pm »
Well that stinks Howard but your a tough bird so maybe your recovery will be one of the faster ones. I know how you  will feel having to miss the hunting season, gotta be disappointing to you.
Since it's your left shoulder, bow hand side, maybe you could shoot from a ground stand while sitting using your foot to hold the bow. I've seen Byron Fergeuson do it and tried it a few times myself on targets. With some practice I think a guy could get pretty accurate using this method. Just a thought.
Hope you get some good news from the surgeon and if you do have the operation I wish you a fast recovery buddy.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2014, 01:07:05 am »
Thanks guys.  I really appreciate y'all.  I will be shooting again before too long.  Our deer season doesn't end till Feb. 10 - if the Good Lord is willing, I will be turning arrows loose before then.   :)
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2014, 01:26:00 am »
I haven't had it done myself, but I've heard about 4-6 months give or take, but depends on severity. So if you've got until February, then maybe you'll be OK to pull 40lb. Here's hoping anyway  :)

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2014, 01:30:14 am »
Thanks. 40lbs will get it done!  I will be happy with that.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi