Author Topic: BIG SNAKE! What kind is it?  (Read 4116 times)

Offline okie64

BIG SNAKE! What kind is it?
« on: June 12, 2014, 02:22:47 pm »
My wifes uncle ran over this guy yesterday and told me I could have it. Im thinking its just a water snake but not real sure as Ive never seen one this big. He measured 85" before I skinned him out! The biggest water snakes I have seen around here are about 4 feet or so but Im no snake expert by any means. He should be pretty on a couple of bows. The board hes stapled to is an 8 foot 2x6. What do yall think?

Offline osage outlaw

Re: BIG SNAKE! What kind is it?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 02:23:51 pm »
That's a black rat snake.  And it is a big one for sure.  I love black rat snakes.  A lot of the time they are big enough to back an entire bow.  You get that gradual color change from light to dark on it. 
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 02:30:42 pm by osage outlaw »
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 02:26:20 pm »
Here is one I picked up off the road last year.  It ended up on the BOY if you want to see what it looks like finished up.  I split the fat snakes down the side so I can use the belly scales as a backing.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 03:04:06 pm »
Im in love...........
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 03:57:16 pm »
I wish they would have gotten proof of its length before they skinned it cause that would be a record I think.  That's over 7 ft.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline okie64

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 05:10:13 pm »
Yep that is definitely it Clint, thanks for the info.

Tim, The record is 101" so im not even close. I did snap a couple pics with a tape measure before I skinned it out though.

Offline okie64

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 05:14:08 pm »
My son holding it up

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 05:56:17 pm »
That is a monster sized snake.  Now you need to make an 8' bow to put it on.

Offline okie64

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 07:07:24 pm »
Its funny you say that Clint. When my wife saw how long it was she asked if this meant that I would have to build a bow big enough to fit the skin! Now about a hundred smart-a$$ remarks went through my mind immediately but instead I said "No dear, I can actually trim the skin to fit a bow" ;D

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2014, 08:00:38 pm »
That is a big ole snake, I see Okie Jr. had to get up on his tippy toes to hold it up for the picture and he looks like a fairly tall boy too.  Nice find. :)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline bubby

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2014, 09:06:27 pm »
I've only seen one that big, when I was around twelve killed a rattler 21 and a button, that will make some beautiful bows
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2014, 09:47:18 pm »
Okie, Did he hit that snake near an old barn or abandoned building?  I found mine on the road right in front of an old run down barn.  I think thats how they live so long and get that big.  They find a good home and stay there.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2014, 09:48:33 pm »
     That was a big un!  That would sure make you able to leap a tall tree in a single bound, if you came up on it, or  stepped on it, near dusk! :o :o :o :o

Wayne

Offline TRACY

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2014, 10:55:07 pm »
Now that's a snake! Hedgeapple traded me one he killed in the chicken coop last year that was 76" and it is huge. Nice

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline okie64

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2014, 09:10:06 am »
Okie, Did he hit that snake near an old barn or abandoned building?  I found mine on the road right in front of an old run down barn.  I think thats how they live so long and get that big.  They find a good home and stay there.

You could be right Clint. Those old run down barns all up and down the stretch of road where he ran over that snake. Im talkin like one every 1/4 mile or so. Now you got me thinkin maybe I should get permission to go sneaking around in a few of them to see what I can find.