Author Topic: Willow bow in the works (Salix caprea) Goat willow  (Read 11694 times)

Offline dwardo

Re: Willow bow in the works (Salix caprea) Goat willow
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2014, 04:57:29 pm »
Maybe rid most of the handle to get all the help you can.

Don t thin there is much in there to save her especially as I just hacked out the handle far too thin. Will see how it goes bud.

Some guy posted an 85# willow warbow on Facebook the other day.  Crazy!  Good luck dude.

85! Thats a monster willow!

Gee...this almost makes me wanna go cut some willow  ::)  :laugh: good luck...your half way there...

Or halfways broken  ;D we will see. Not had chance to play with it since, been out camping shooting n trapping. Plus whittling the elder whilst playing in the woods.

Willow is used to make cricket bats....so it must have something going for it! It can take impacts well but how exactly that translates to bow making properties....????
Our elder makes fine bows Dwardo. It's right up there with anything else native. I've got a lovely one that's about 45#

The elder despite its nast twist feels soo good at floor tiller, incredibly elastic and responsive. I am breaking one of the golden rules and falling in love with a bit of wood before its a bow.  :-\
It has had many an hour on the form and under caul to try to straighten, add to that the twist still left and the knots who knows but either way its bow or kindling by the end of the week

Willow seems like it's fairly strong tension wise but feels like it would take a load of set would be my guess

That's my impression as well.

It bends like crazy, and it's really easy to make baskets and such with the branches. But just simply judging by the "twig bend test" for suitable bow wood -- it springs back ultra slow.

Yeah its lacking the bounce of decent bow wood but go till it goes pop and we will see.

If it blows you can always make some sweet bow drill hearths from the shards!

Great idea. We were trying to perfect various fire lighting methods over the weekend so that may be an option. Although its a little cheating to bring a pre-made kit  O:)

Willow seems like it's fairly strong tension wise but feels like it would take a load of set would be my guess

I would guess its gonna but will post results either way once I get back at it. Still aching limbs and a bunch of mozzie, horsefly and mite bites to treat first :)

Offline danny f

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2014, 05:00:57 pm »
looking good. is goat willow the one with diamond patterns on the bark? there is loads growing near me but i have never thought it would make a bow.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2014, 06:48:14 am »
looking good. is goat willow the one with diamond patterns on the bark? there is loads growing near me but i have never thought it would make a bow.

Thats the stuff mate. Round leaves as opposed to the usual longer thinner jobbies. Always growing in scrub and at the edge of woodland.

Offline danny f

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2014, 06:55:30 pm »
cheers, i might just give it a go if yours holds up ;) there looked to be plenty of decent straight stuff there.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2014, 05:46:51 pm »
Well nawt else is dry enough to work so back at the willow.

The black marker on the scale is 50lbs. Tiller aint great but it is what it is. Badger was bang on as usual, over 25 its starting to complain at 24 @50 its stable. It has taken about inch and a half of set with, no added reflex or heat at all just as it is.
I think I can take the flat out of the upper limb and pull the outers round some more? There is a set of pin knots it that bit but it might move some. Maybe heat treat it to within an inch of its life and narrow the outers? Its great practice whilst other stuff seasons which ever way.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2014, 07:53:20 pm »
Great bends dwardo.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

mikekeswick

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2014, 10:11:01 am »
The upper mid to outer needs to bend a little more. The bottom looks good. :)
Out of interest what does it weigh?

Offline dwardo

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2014, 10:30:00 am »
The upper mid to outer needs to bend a little more. The bottom looks good. :)
Out of interest what does it weigh?

Will weigh it for you later mate. That flat spot in the top mid limb is a cluster of pin knots that is resisting best at the minute but needs to come out. Let you know later but its very light, but still massive  :laugh:

Offline dwardo

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2014, 12:57:01 pm »
17.7 oz mate. But that's with a pretty thick handle and tips I have yet to thin.
The principal says I might get out to 26. Resisting the urge to get the heat gun out  >:D