Author Topic: character Osage build a long. maybe, kinda, sorta  (Read 7419 times)

Offline H Rhodes

Re: character Osage build a long. maybe, kinda, sorta
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2014, 02:53:56 am »
That ought to make a good one!  Isn't it fun to find a bow hiding in there somewhere? >:D  It is surprising to me how narrow a hunting weight bow can be in some crisp old seasoned osage like that.  I am glued to my seat on this one.  Good luck with it.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2014, 07:14:11 am »
Josh, I saw what that stave looked like when Wayne gave it to you last Wednesday.  I don't know that I would have been up to that challenge like you.  Good luck with it.  I'm sure you will be able to find a bow in there.

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2014, 07:52:39 am »
Get a string on it already and let's see what she'll do! :laugh:  Definitely a challenging piece of wood, at least from my perspective.  I woulda roasted hot dogs over that one. :D
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2014, 08:50:01 am »
Who'd a thunk it could make a bow?  I'm watching with interest.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

blackhawk

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2014, 08:56:36 am »
Don't ever underestimate the power of the osage...I've made quite a few from some pretty nasty stuff as ya know...

And If we get to meet up in a few weeks I got something "good" for you this weekend,and better than that  >:D  :laugh:

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2014, 10:27:47 am »
I feel pretty sure you can pull off something out of that, don't really know what makes a man even want to try ,but sometimes we just do. ??? Good luck and keep us posted on the progress. :) That was one nasty looking stick but looking better all the time,amazing what a little tender loving care can do for one. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2014, 11:26:27 am »
yeah, i think it will work!
45# at 27"

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2014, 01:29:17 pm »
You got that thing flinging arrows yet?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2014, 01:50:33 pm »
You are an inspiration sir!  Looking at a bow rise out of a Piece O' Crap stick like that makes me feel very spoiled to work with the good stuff, ...but I still do.  Being spoiled is nice sometimes...

OneBow

Offline Josh B

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2014, 03:56:24 pm »
Thanks fellas!  It'll be a couple weeks before I get back to it.  I need to do a little heat bending and I won't be home to do that until the independence weekend.  Not only that, but I had to get back to studying for the KMCA Truck driving championship that I'll be competing in next weekend.  From what I understand, the written exam is a killer.  I know how to drive a truck, but all the various legislation since the 30's that pertain to the transportation industry and international hazardous material handling law is not something that I'm well versed in.  Just reading up on it is best described as tedium ad nauseam.  Anyway, back to the subject, I should get a little more done on the bow in a couple weeks.
Chris, you have my curiousity peeked!
Thanks again fellas!  Josh
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 04:01:52 pm by Gun Doc »

Offline Josh B

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2014, 05:32:00 pm »
Well....its terminal.  I made it by one of our shops and borrowed the heatgun.  Right when she came in line, she popped.  Two cracks down the back and two laminar separations on the side.  On a positive note, I know a fella in St. Louis who has been trying to get me to make him a display bow to hang on the wall.  I've been turning him down for years because I make bows to shoot and I wasn't going to waste a good piece of wood for a wall hanger.  Well this is not a good piece of wood.  If I can get it to hold together long enough to get it looking good at brace, I'll finish it up for display only and surprise him with it.  Thanks for the encouragement despite the outcome.  It is much appreciated!   Josh

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2014, 05:36:24 pm »
Bummer Josh.  Good for you for trying anyway

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2014, 09:26:06 pm »
When you have a load of experience and take on a really questionable stave, it is akin to slaying a dragon.  Honorable, even in failure.

When you have no knowledge of what it is that you are doing or why you are doing it, taking on a wonky stave is like trying to slay a squirrel while armed with an length of overcooked linguine.  You Win or lose, you just look silly doing it.

Dragon: 1, Gun Doc: 0

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

blackhawk

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2014, 09:53:07 pm »
Your getting no sympathy from me...you've been around this stuff long enough to shake it off,n I know you couldn't care less that it didn't work out :P  ;)   man I guess osage ain't all that its cracked up to be  :-X  :laugh:

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2014, 09:55:38 pm »
That's looking good man.