Author Topic: Another New Guy  (Read 4609 times)

Offline ajbruggink

• Aaron Bruggink, Oostburg, WI, USA
Another New Guy
« on: June 17, 2014, 02:36:36 pm »
Hey Everyone,

I just activated my account on the Primitive Archery Community today and I thought I should introduce myself. I have become smitten with bows made without fiberglass or cams within the last year. I have made my own wooden arrows from ash and POC, tying fletchings with thread, I have made one bow that hasn't broken yet, I'm on work on one for my friend and I trying to teach myself to make bowstrings. I made this bow to match the design my friend wants his bow to be, based on a fantasy bow, an English Longbow with slight recurves. I made it from a red oak 1x2, after cutting it to shape and recurving the ends I applied some cherry bark backing I bought from Echo Archery with Titebond III and then tillered it and finished it. I think the slightly recurved ELB design surpassed the red oak's limitations because the string follow is a bit excessive. You can't even see the recurves when it is strung. (Yes, I used some of my leftover aluminum's from my compound days so I could shoot 50 shots in fewer rounds to help break the bow in, far from Primitive, I apologize. Don't worry the duct tape was temporary) But the bow does work. I named it Adam and it'll probably become a bowfishing bow, I don't know what the speed of the bow is yet so I don't know if its capable of deer sized game, maybe turkey. 

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Another New Guy
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 05:30:34 am »
Welcome,looks like a good first attempt. Looking forward to seeing more,seems you have the intrest and all the  skills will come,just give them some time. Read and ask questions,everyone here is more than willing to help. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline ajbruggink

• Aaron Bruggink, Oostburg, WI, USA
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 11:18:00 am »
Thanks, Pappy

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 10:10:04 am »