Author Topic: Fort Union National Historic Site Rendezvous this weekend!  (Read 3158 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Fort Union National Historic Site Rendezvous this weekend!
« on: June 18, 2014, 09:47:10 pm »
For those of you within striking distance of the confluence of the Yellowstone and the Missouri River and with a strange bent toward wearing funny old clothes and reenacting times without showers and decent hygiene, this is the place to be.

The National Park Service runs this wonderful historic site that features an historically correct rebuild of the fur trade post on the site.  They went back to Karl Bodmer and George Catlin's paintings from the time and place in order to rebuild it as it existed at the time. Every summer they have an encampment that is free of charge to historical re-enactors and free to the public to visit. 

There will be numerous demonstrations all weekend long in case you ever wanted to see how to skin a beaver, blacksmith, make pottery, knap stone, or re-create a Plains horsebow.  Unlike most Rendezvous, there will be no shooting competitions, tomahawk or knife throwing,etc.  This is on a National Historic Site and it's an act of Congress to allow any shooting of any kind.  Look at it this way...you can go home and not have to worry about cleaning any guns!  Instead, you can hang around, talk moccasin-talk around a fire, eat and drink well, and spend time with like minded people.

I'll be in the large white bell back wedge tent with the rain fly out front.  You will know it is me becaue there will be yellow wood shavings!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
Re: Fort Union National Historic Site Rendezvous this weekend!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 02:16:05 am »
I'd head that way if I wasn't already going to a 3d shoot this weekend, it sounds like a lot of fun.
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline chamookman

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 05:52:13 am »
Sounds like a COOL week-end JW. Have FUN - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 09:16:09 am »
I got all excited, then realized that it wasn't THAT Fort Union. I live near Fort Union in Utah. Oh well. There is always                     Ft. Buenaventura in Ogden and Ft. Bridger is Wyoming.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 05:14:46 pm »
Always wanted to go to Ft Bridger.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 06:15:24 pm »
JW, please take lots of pictures for us so unfortunate to every see some thing like that.