Author Topic: wood grain  (Read 5562 times)

Offline Hrothgar

wood grain
« on: April 25, 2008, 01:19:00 pm »
Several years ago in exchange for making him a self bow, I received 6 mulberry boards that were milled 1" by 3" by about 7 feet.  After 3 failed attempts I finally managed to make one keeper--the grains had been pretty well violated on most of the boards. I now have one board left that has been riftsawn, the grains are even, basically knot free, and run the entire length of the board. I know that generally boards are quartersawn when used for belly or core wood. Since I have a hickory backing strip begging to be glued to something I was wondering if this mulberry board with its vertical cut rings could be made into a working bow, or am I wasting my time? Thanks for any info you give.
Eric
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: wood grain
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 01:33:49 pm »
Eric....to me a Rift Sawn Board is only second to an Edge Sawn Board....I would not be afraid to make a Wide Limbed Bow from it without Backing it....so I guess my Answer to you would be....Yes it will make a Fine Bow when Backed...and No....You would not be wasting your time
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 12:27:41 am »
try it and find out eh bay?
lets just shoot it

radius

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 01:08:08 am »
what are you waiting for man!?!?!?

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 02:56:40 pm »
With a hickory backing, you can make an excellent backed board bow with mulberry. If you have already failed 3 times trying to make a self bow from the mulberry boards, back it make sure you get a shooter. You can probably go 1 1/2" or slightly wider at the fades, out 6" to 8" and taper to 3/8" tips and come out with a great bow.  ;)   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC