Author Topic: How to Stalk a Deer  (Read 6440 times)

Offline Wooden Spring

How to Stalk a Deer
« on: June 20, 2014, 02:45:30 pm »
I remember a post sometime back that spoke about the Native American manner of stalking a deer. That is, get down wind, then crawl on your hands and knees, and the deer won't "recognize" you as human, and it will allow you to get SUPER close. Well, I didn't give it a WHOLE lot of thought until I came across this video on youtube. The guy is a rifle hunter, BUT it proves that this WORKS! I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL OCTOBER TO TRY THIS OUT!!!!!!

Couple this method with watching the phases of the moon, and I'll be unstoppable!  *meniacal laugh* Mua hahahahahaha!!!   >:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGDeac8gE-k
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: How to Stalk a Deer
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 03:11:30 pm »
Try it on heavily hunted deer and your knees will get soar from chasing them across the county.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 03:13:46 pm »
Try it on heavily hunted deer and your knees will get soar from chasing them across the county.

So you've tried this method before?
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 03:17:09 pm »
Nope. But Ive bow hunted Michigan for 25 years, usually 40-50 times a season. It wouldn't work up this way. It may be fine on less pressured deer. I cant wink an eye up here without flags flying. Our deer herd is severely harassed by over 3/4 million hunters every year.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Will Tell

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 10:49:32 am »
I hunt mostly off the ground and the only deer I can stalk are the young ones and bucks during the rut. A smart old doe is almost impossible to sneak up on. I too hunt where there is a lot of hunting pressure.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 08:29:45 pm »
I agree, same here on the stalking. A rutting buck can sometimes be distracted enough to not notice you at close range when your on the ground and a young deer can be curious and foolish enough to let you close sometimes but those mature does are the sentries and are hard to fool.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline steve b.

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 10:08:47 pm »
I didn't watch the video, and I have no doubt that it does work.  You could never crawl through the country that I like to hunt without making 100 times the noise that you would make just stepping through it. 
But, I have hunted heavily pressured deer in desert country and used a leafy suit to walk right up to deer.  With a leafy jacket and hood on I have stood up from a ground blind and walked, bent over,  within bow range of does that I did not intend to shoot.  In the same area I spotted a buck in the open.   There was no chance of a stalk as it was wide open.  He winded me and was warry (sp?).  I did the bent-over walk thing and used a grunt call, bow in hand, and closed the 200 yds yards to 60 yds. before he trotted off.
And many times, in all kinds of conditions, I had thrown on the leafy hood only and had much better success than if I had not used it.  Its about breaking up your outline.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2014, 11:40:57 pm »
Remember the post about putting your bow on your head like a set of horns? Combo that w this and the grunt and you might get yourself gored.  ;) dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2014, 11:52:30 pm »
...or shot!   :o
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2014, 08:10:42 am »
I agree Steve, as long as the wind is in your favor the noise and the human outline are the two big giveaways  but movement when they are looking your way can also ruin a stalk.
And Pat your point about getting shot isn't far off either, one of the reasons I gave up gun hunting over 15 yrs. ago.
Hunting mostly public ground myself and have to admit that I'm often a little nervous just going to and from my stand in the dark even with a flashlight on to alert others that I am a human and not something to be shot at. And this is during the bow only season.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2014, 09:40:45 am »
Sure not saying it can't be done ,but anyone that can stalk a TN. white tail,my hat is off to you. Still hunting yes,sort off,blind hunting yes but still tough but stalking won't be very productive for most. Now I am talking about bow hunting with a stick, gun hunting would be easier and a compound easier also but still very tough. :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Badger

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2014, 12:34:37 am »
  I was pig hunting from a ground blind in south Texas. A doe busted me in the blind. Instead of running she came over to investigate putting her nose right in my face, I said boo and she barely flinched, I walked out of the blind and she still didn't run, followed me around like a dog for two hours. Must have been someones pet or soemthing is all I can figure.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2014, 05:22:04 am »
Ya they generally don't act that way Steve,they most times turn inside out. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline 4dog

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2014, 09:33:23 am »
Remember the post about putting your bow on your head like a set of horns? Combo that w this and the grunt and you might get yourself gored.  ;) dp

or "mounted" !!  some funny deer out there...lol  ???
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline Marks

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2014, 12:08:04 pm »
This past season I stalked up under 100 from 300+ yds across an open picked bean field with a rifle doing basically that . I just bent over at the waist and walked. I was wearing a brown carhart jacket and blue jeans and it was near last light. It was getting late so it was my only option for getting a shot. The first time there were around 3-4 does and 2 bucks. I'm pretty sure one was a shooter buck but it was too dark by the time I got in range. I could see horns and they looked decent but I couldn't tell how big. I'm pretty picky about what I shoot in this field so I let him walk for fear of ground shrinkage. Before they left the buck was walking toward me looking at me. He finally got down wind of me and ran.  The second time I did the same thing with 3 does. They were walking west to east and I intercepted them going South to North. I shot the biggest doe and she ran toward me and past me under 30 yds. I'm with Pappy. I doubt you could do it with stick and string in North TN or in this case North Alabama but with a gun its possible but who knows. There is only one way to find out.