Author Topic: What is the use of the hole on the nock?  (Read 4026 times)

Offline leehongyi

What is the use of the hole on the nock?
« on: June 20, 2014, 10:59:45 pm »
i have seen some horn nocks have a hole on them. What is the use?

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
Re: What is the use of the hole on the nock?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 11:26:17 pm »
I don't really know at all, some other guys with a lot more knowledge will chime in I'm sure, but there was an article in PA that was available on line that used a little hole on the top of the nock and a little string as a "string holder". it keeps your string loop from slipping down too far on the bow and becoming all loose. So it could be used for that.

Offline PortlandJoe

• nock. draw. LOOOOSE!
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 12:57:16 am »
Absolutely.  Also some holes are used as a purge hole for air to escape during the gluing but the one you showed is for a string keeper.  A true gentleman never should fuss with an unkempt string!

Offline leehongyi

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 01:00:13 am »
Absolutely.  Also some holes are used as a purge hole for air to escape during the gluing but the one you showed is for a string keeper.  A true gentleman never should fuss with an unkempt string!

can you show me more pics pls?

Offline WillS

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 03:43:02 am »
They've got nothing to do with warbows! You'd never find one on a warbow.  Tiny, simple nocks just from the end of the cow horn is what you want - no shaping, no carving, no designs. 

The nock you posted would be a Victorian target bow where elegance and style were far more important.  A warbow was a tool and was simple and deadly, in the same way as medieval swords wouldn't have been decorated or finished with gold inlays etc.

All that being said, they are string keepers.  You just tie a loop of string or elastic to the nock through the hole, and the other end is tied to the bowstring loop to stop it slipping down.  Warbow strings would be stored off the bow, wound up and hung.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 04:09:39 am »
You tie a thin string or ribbon (if you like Victorian prettiness :-* ) through there which is then tied to the loop of the bowstring when it us unbraced, it stops the string getting tangled, or slipping off the bow and getting lost.
I tend to use a rubber band myself...
I once realise the string had fallen off an unstrung bow while walking across a field >:( I managed to retrace my steps and find it :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline kiwijim

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 01:58:19 am »
Dr Elmer (toxophilite, author and champion archer) discourages the use of this gimmick. In his opinion, if your bow breaks and you have a string keeper, there is a good chance of wearing the upper limb in your face.

mikekeswick

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 04:56:20 am »
Dr Elmer (toxophilite, author and champion archer) discourages the use of this gimmick. In his opinion, if your bow breaks and you have a string keeper, there is a good chance of wearing the upper limb in your face.

It's used when the bow is unbraced......

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 11:27:36 pm »
I wore an upper limb in my face when I wasn't using one.....so.....:).  I think if you're aiming with your face touching the string, if the top limb breaks, its gonna follow where the string is pulling it, which is to your face.

Offline kiwijim

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2014, 07:01:37 pm »

It's used when the bow is unbraced......
[/quote]

and is also on the bow when it is braced.... ::)

Offline Colindemo

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 12:44:09 pm »
I don't know about the use of the whole but have a question of my own and i didn't want to add a new topic just for one quick question  :D

Why are there 2 grooves in horn knocks instead of just one for the string? I'm not sure but i think they are only there on the top nock.
Made and bred in Holland, please return if found

Offline WillS

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2014, 01:00:43 pm »
The second groove is for a stringer.  Once a bow reaches a certain weight they can't be braced using push/pull or step through (well, they can but its horrible to watch...!) so most people use a bastard string (longer than the bow) to brace.  The bastard string or "stringer" sits in that second nock groove.

Offline Colindemo

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2014, 03:22:57 pm »
Thanks! mystery solved. I was confused because i always use 2 pieces of leather on my stringer which will probably snap right in two when i try to string a warbow for the first time
Made and bred in Holland, please return if found