Author Topic: BL stave suggestions needed- many pics  (Read 6037 times)

Offline GlisGlis

Re: BL stave suggestions needed- many pics
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2014, 10:23:47 am »
Ty darksoul.
I see your points about thickness . More crown --> distance from belly --> tension and also stress

I also appreciate the practicle approach.
I allready could flex a bit the stave and that point i marked is where the most flex happens. I'm not able to guesstimate the draw weight needed and dont want to cause hinges too early tough ;)

Please consider now the depth/trapping issue.
would you reduce a little the depth to obtain a larger width or keep the depth as large as possible?
Green solution could maybe loose some more power but need less trapping and is more on the safe side?

@ Tracy
ty
Well actually thickness is allready an issue I fear.I'm not able to evaluate how much power i'll lose after final shape will be achieved.
I think that at last i will ignore drawweight and concentrate on proper shape and tiller

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2014, 11:13:31 am »
You should now start by laying-out your width profile. Don't worry about the thickness at this point. Just leave it full thickness (i.e. the red line). You're getting too concerned about the technical aspects of trapping, thickness taper, crown etc. Those are not important in your first few bows. Just focus on getting a bow that shoots. Once the bow is roughly shaped in width, you can determine how much wood you have left to spare. If possible, you could trap it a bit, but that is really not necessary. Start with the green width, and the red thickness. If that turns out to be way too stiff when floor tillering, remove some thickness (resulting in the green outline). If it's still too stiff, you could remove wood by trapping the back. Still too stiff? Remove wood until you get the green thickness, but the red width. Just sneak up on your draw weight.
If you have a finished bow (any bow, even modern recurve is fine), you can use that as a training device to get a feel for floor tillering. Push that bow onto the floor, as you would floor tiller a stave. And compare that feeling to your stave.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2014, 11:31:04 am »
very well
makes perfect sense
thankyou

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2014, 03:17:32 pm »
Almost buried in work but slowly progressing.
I tried to keep my weakest point as reference and tiller the rest.
Tough the belly is pretty flat, the sections are not at all uniform.  Hope this will not be a problem
In the 3° floor square from handle on the right lies the big knot that make a nice hole in the belly.
It' all floor tillering as i dont have a tillering tree yet (and also cause I think that was the way ancients did).
Are the outer midlimbs too stiff?
Well, please tell me what you think about. (ok maybe ancients didnt have internet  ;) )
Dont spare critiques as I'm more interested in the result than in kindness
greedily waiting you suggestions

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2014, 05:25:04 pm »
It looks like it could bend more in the outer thirds; tiny bit of set shows in the inner third.

Looks great so far ;D
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2014, 08:23:37 am »
Ty huisme
here tiller at around 20''.
just to check if what i see is correct i marked in red the parts that look stiff to me. Is that right?
doubled red line is the knot
will you leave tips a little stiffer? almost like little levers?
anyway looks like things start coming together
ty all for the support

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2014, 11:18:11 am »
Looks like to me you are ready for Erik's gizzmo. If you don't have one take the time and make one if you can. It will tell you where to scrape on your limbs. Saved many a bow for me.

Offline redhawk55

• bowXplosion
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2014, 11:58:41 am »
BL has never disappointed me. Some of the best bows I ever was able to do are made of BL, even when a BL stave was knotty, a bit twisted, a bit rottened....................some bug holes...........easy to steambend or to heattreat, one of my favs, a very solid bow- wood, a very true companion.
The bow looks good so far, I second Huisme, could bend more in the outer thirds, when tiller is finished, I would narrow the tips.
What' s the bow' s drawweight at 20"?

Dean, what' s Eriks Gizzmo?

Huisme, great BL shortie!
..........the way of underdoing.............

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2014, 02:16:57 pm »
Here is the gizzmo. Run it along the belly of the limbs when you got it bending and it will leave pencil marks where it isn't bending.

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2014, 04:06:11 pm »
Glis, that looks perfect ;D How far are you from your target weight?

I've seen some good work with those gizmos; I say give it a try-- but I'm telling you I hate using them for no good reason :o :P
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2014, 04:22:33 am »
ty Dean
i read about the gizmo on this site.
I dont own a proper one but i usually place the flat scraper on the belly surface to visual check the curvature

the draw weight actually is about 29# at 20''
I plan to draw it at 28'', maybe little more. What final drawweight should I expect?
what draw length would you consider safe with a ntn of little less than 67''?

Offline redhawk55

• bowXplosion
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2014, 06:06:28 am »
GlisGlis, about 45lbs at 28"?

Thanks Dean, makes absolutely sense. What' s the length of this gizzmo?
I guess it should be shorter for shorter bows, how is the length calculated?
..........the way of underdoing.............

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2014, 08:07:09 am »
The rule of thumb is 3 pounds more draw weight for one more inch of draw. My gizmo is 6" long. Erick Krewson is the person who got me using the gizmo. He had a demo on how to use and make one I believe either here or on TG a while back.

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2014, 02:29:24 pm »
here me again
very excited this time
picture is at 27'' draw.
I had to be quick as I dont wanted to induce set
I measured little more than 46# @28''. In perfect line with redhawk and marlow guess.
at present non dare to draw it more  :-[
in my mind right side will be the top. Is there a special rule to choose wich one is better?
Keeping right side of bow on top will let the string little little more on the left of center that should be better for a right handed archer. is that correct?
At present bow has taken around 1'' of set compared to a straight line.
Would you heat treath it and try to reduce set in the same time?

tanks to all you folks for every suggestions. this forum rocks. cant wait to shoot some arrow with it

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2014, 03:47:22 pm »
Usually the stronger limb goes on bottom. Looks like right should be bottom. Depending on how your string alignment is as well
Nothing ventured nothing gained