Author Topic: Frog arrows from cane and bamboo  (Read 4124 times)

Offline TRACY

Frog arrows from cane and bamboo
« on: June 25, 2014, 02:45:02 pm »
I went frog gigging/hunting this past weekend and had a blast! My kids used pole/gig head and I took an old Bear Alaskan with judos and field points. Judos just don't penetrate enough and so I switched to field points that worked good for 40 lb bow.

I've searched here and in my books for a frog arrow/ fish arrow from cane. I found one by swamp monkey for fish that the Catawba used. I have decided to improvise and chose some longer arrows 35", and split the point end twice perpendicular to each split to produce four prongs. The split is 6" long and ends at a node. I will wrap this to prevent further splitting. I still need to sharpen the tips of each prong a little more, but I think it will work. The prongs should expand upon impact and penetrate the frog to reduce flipping off the arrow. Anyone have experience or suggestions with this type of arrow? If it doesn't work I'll just use a duplex nail point on a long arrow w/o fletching.

Thanks,
Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Re: Frog arrows from cane and bamboo
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 03:05:30 pm »
Pretty cool Tracy. I'd say it's sharp enough, the sharper you get it the more likely to break due to lack of material thickness. not much resistance on a frog.

Are there still frogs big enough to eat Ogleville?  ???

I hear the southeastern tribes did a similar thing as the spanish bush wacked through. Their regular points would break on the chainmail so they split their cane and it would splinter more on impact. I hear bunches of conqistadore (sp) died from infection due to this. Cleanliness is next to Godliness I suppose. Those guys thought they were gods, that's probly where it all went wrong.  ;)
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 03:28:31 pm »
Tracy, I've seen it done with a small, sharpened plug inserted in the center along with the four points, then wrapped real tight.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 07:17:53 pm »
I have seen pictures somewhere that had long arrows, around 5 feet long. They would ease into the frog or fish with the extended arrow which would help get through brush and shoot it. Wouldn't think the splits needed to be to wide for frogs or fish. I would think just like gigging you can get the long arrow gig pretty close before shooting it.
Good luck, looks like fun.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 10:03:29 pm »
Nice frog sticker Tracy.  I haven't went giggin' in years. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline TRACY

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 10:53:31 pm »
Nice frog sticker Tracy.  I haven't went giggin' in years.

You need to get the kids and wife and go! I hadn't been for a long while either and could've stayed out until the sun came up ;D good eats!

Derik, haven't gone around the house yet but went over by the strip pits south of terre haute. I'm going to try the arrows I made at some local ponds soon.

Eddie, that makes sense and would probably be good to have the prongs partially opened. Seems like Hillbilly posted some years ago but couldn't find the post.

NC, I was thinker longer than normal arrows would be good too. That and lower poundage will keep the arrow in the frog. I was really bummed and wet trying to find a couple of big frogs after hitting them in the head close with the judo.

Thanks for the comments and ideas!

Tracy

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 11:36:47 am »
Very cool,that should do it. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 09:48:41 pm »
Just wrap some cordage around it and lash between the forks  for the spread you like
they work really well !
make them a little longer than you think you will need so you can redo when you bust it on the rocks
they will pin a frog down real good !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 12:44:35 pm »
I gotta try these!  I just harvested a BUNCH of Bamboo that should make these fairly well...  What kind - if any - of fletching do you use on these???

OneBow

Offline TRACY

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2014, 08:15:50 am »
Thanks Pappy and Guy!

One bow, I'm going with no fletching since the shot opportunities are really close. Nice batch of boo!

Tracy

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2014, 01:48:38 pm »
Waiting on the pics of the harvest, or maybe even a invite to supper !  :laugh:
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Ozzy

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2014, 10:38:50 pm »
That's sweet Tracy we need to get together and put it to uses >:D
THE BEST SUNRISES ARE SEEN 20 FEET UP A TREE.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2014, 09:51:44 am »
That's sweet Tracy we need to get together and put it to uses >:D

Agreed!

I tried my arrows last night at a public lake that is usually quiet. Lot of bank fishing made it tough to wade the shore for frogs. I did get to shoot an arrow at a flip flop and seriously impressed with the expanding prongs and full penetration. Cane is tough! My son and I will go back in a kayak and boat tonight if storms hold off. I think the arrows will work fine.