Author Topic: FF on 120# Self-nocks?  (Read 3241 times)

cool_98_555

FF on 120# Self-nocks?
« on: June 26, 2014, 12:49:09 pm »
I recently made a trilam warbow with bamboo on the back, hickory in the center, and osage on the belly.  It is 120# @ 32" and 72" long, 71" nock-to-nock.  Currently I have a 22-strand B-50 Dacron string on it, but it is proving to be a little too thick and I am considering switching to Fast Flight.  The nocks are self-nocks, so there are no tip overlays on top of the bamboo.  The bamboo is slightly less than 1/8" thick at the tips and tip thickness is close to 1/2".  Would it still be acceptable to use FF in this case?  Thanks!

Offline toomanyknots

Re: FF on 120# Self-nocks?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 01:16:46 pm »
For one thing, b50 will stretch and is a horrible choice for a warbow string. It will stretch when you draw the bow, you can feel it. It is slow and rubbery and will have a good amount of wrist slap. FF is a much better choice. But I think any heavy bamboo backed bow should have overlays or horn nocks, horn nocks preferably. This is just from my experience with the bowstring breaking through the bamboo for some reason. I have had this happen more than a couple times. I don't know if it's just me or what, but I get horn nocks on my boo backed warbows as soon as possible. Overlays are an easier alternative to horn nocks, you can do them pretty easy using the flat disc sander on most belt sanders to flatten the sections to be glued together. Or a flat sanding block works too.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 01:19:05 pm »
  Ditto what knotts said, I would not consider self nocks on that bow. You got a lot out of that bow! You may have a record setter there, take care of it!

cool_98_555

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 01:32:59 pm »
That's what I figured.  Since I have already cut self-nocks into the bow tips, I don't want to sand the bamboo down any more to get it to a flat profile for tip overlays, as it seems that the bamboo wouldn't have much thickness left.  Unless I decide to put horn tips on, I think i'm going to have to stay with B-50.  I'll just put overlays on my next warbow to accommodate a FF string.

Surprisingly, this bow has only taken 1 3/4"-2" of set, which I'm pretty happy with, considering the length and the draw weight.  ;D

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 02:13:29 pm »
I don't want to sand the bamboo down any more to get it to a flat profile for tip overlays, as it seems that the bamboo wouldn't have much thickness left.

What you do is cut (or sand really on the disc sander) the end at an angle.

Here's the buildalong where I show those overlays: http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=42355.0

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 02:27:58 pm »
  I would put smallish horn nocks incase you ever decide to compete with it, horn nocks would be required.

cool_98_555

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 03:17:09 pm »
Thanks for the pictures!  I have seen that method before, but I've never tried it.  What adhesive would be best for the horn in this case?  Would TB3 suffice?  Superglue perhaps?

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 05:16:02 pm »
Thanks for the pictures!  I have seen that method before, but I've never tried it.  What adhesive would be best for the horn in this case?  Would TB3 suffice?  Superglue perhaps?

I use loctite brand gel super glue. Epoxy would probably work too though.