Author Topic: Hophornbeam Bow  (Read 21352 times)

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
Hophornbeam Bow
« on: January 02, 2008, 09:43:27 pm »
Hello,
Just finished this HHB bow during the holidays while I should have been huntin' with Pappy at Land Between the Lakes. ;D  Pappy gave me the stave for this bow, and it's was one of the best hhb staves I had seen...very straight and mostly problem free. I really took my time on the tiller and think the limbs stayed within 1/8" of each other from brace to finish. The tips were recurved after tiller was complete. Was a little nervous how well hhb would do using dry heat and adding a fairly large recurve, but it worked out fine with the help of a little vegetable oil on the belly side. The tips are from buffalo horn (compliments of Justin), and deer antler (provided that myself  :)). I first stained the bow with "special walnut" and litely wiped off with a paper towell dipped in acetone after the stain had dried for about an hour. This process really brought the grain out, although most of the pictures taken in bright sunlight with my 35mm film camera saved onto a disk did not show the grain as I had hoped. Got to get me a digital camera...I'll have to add that to my New Year's resolutions list! ;D  I put 3 coats of tung oil on (PatB's suggestion) followed by 8 coats of tru-oil. I tried to improve on the stiching of the grip over what I've done in the past.

The bow really shoots good and I'm very impressed with hhb. I'd rate it as good as osage in performance of the finished bow, but not quite as well to work with using dry heat when tweaking. It relaxes after resting to a nice straight line. The bow is 63" ntn with 1-1/2" limbs tapering at midlimb to 3/8" tips. It is 55#@27"...

Again, many of the features incorporated into this bow were inspired by many of the  beautiful bows I've seen displayed by the talented bowyers on the PA website and magazine.

Hope yall like it as much as I do!

[attachment deleted by admin]
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
Re: Hophornbeam Bow
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 09:52:41 pm »
Beautiful bow, I really like those recurved tips.
Traverse City, MI

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 10:01:57 pm »
Looks great, gotta be proud of that bow Greg. the finish looks really nice.
VB

Offline Gordon

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 10:23:05 pm »
Nicely done - the tiller and curves look terrific. I would have thought that the curves would have pulled out if put in after the fact, but it clearly worked for you. Excellent bow.
Gordon

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 10:33:18 pm »
Great looking bow Greg. I love the color on the tips.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 10:36:39 pm »
real sweet bow, it has great lines and nice tiller too. excellent- Ryan
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 10:46:09 pm »
Thank you for your kind comments guys!

Nicely done - the tiller and curves look terrific. I would have thought that the curves would have pulled out if put in after the fact, but it clearly worked for you. Excellent bow.
Gordon, I've attempted a couple of Ryano style recurves which are extremely recurve prior to tillering and thus far only had one to shoot a few times before it blew. I don't have access to a lot of hhb so I didn't want to attempt that approach on it. Also don't know if it would handle that extreme of a bend up front even if steamed...Ryan might could tell us that.

So I cheated and added the curve at the end, giving it some heat treatment...knowing it would lose some of the curve. "More then one way to skin a cat I guess...". ;D
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

18thcentman

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 10:59:35 pm »
Sweet!!!!!!

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 11:09:25 pm »
Nice bow Greg. I've yet to make a successful "radical" recurve like you speak of out of any white wood. Although hhb does steam really nicely. I'm just so spoiled on Osage.....lol. Marc would be the guy to ask on the white woods.  What is that on the grip? Thats unique looking.... ;D
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 11:16:30 pm »
Super bow. Great job. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Slivershooter

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 11:32:14 pm »
That is one nice looking bow!!!

Offline Mark Smeltzer

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2008, 11:34:49 pm »
Very nice. Congrats!

Mark

Offline huntersteve

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2008, 11:49:42 pm »
nice bow...great job...steve
Tryon,N.C.

Offline michbowguy

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2008, 12:05:29 am »
that handle is superb.
 jamie

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2008, 12:10:57 am »
Nice bow Greg. I'm working on the HHB stave you and Pappy gave me. Might take a few pointers and ideas from your beauty. ;D     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC