Author Topic: High Carbon Steel  (Read 1218 times)

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
High Carbon Steel
« on: June 27, 2014, 10:19:55 pm »
I have a hatchet that has been neglected. The blade has turned black, is there a way to clean it up so it isn't black? I want to stripe the blade once its clean. Thanks
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: High Carbon Steel
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 11:37:34 pm »
A wire brush or wire wheel. A light oil will hold down he rust dust.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DLH

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 12:46:20 am »
A good soak in vinegar for a day or so then take a wire brush to it will take the rust right off I did that with a drawknife and some old sheep shears. Make sure you clean the vinegar off and oil it up after your done though if the acetic acid is left as is after the soak it will cause the metal to be more prone to rusting.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 05:05:22 am »
About a year ago I brought back to life a couple of hatchet heads I found. Both had been sitting neglected for eons - pretty nasty. Read about some stuff called Evapo Rust - a biodegradeable metal cleaning/derusting solution, and decided to give it a try. Followed the directions and soaked the heads for a couple of days, then rinsed with water. Then used a wire wheel and then a buffing wheel - both came out really nice ! EvapoRust after use is put back into the container and can be used over and over again. Cool stuff as it isn't toxic. Found mine at Harbor Freight, but I believe most hardwares stock it now. Good Luck - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.