Author Topic: Osage Shorty Recommendations  (Read 6475 times)

Offline half eye

Re: Osage Shorty Recommendations
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2014, 12:56:38 pm »
very nice tiller on that bow, weight dont matter, it'll come along but like I said the tiller is picture perfect.
rich

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2014, 02:07:29 pm »
Nice tiller on that one. The weight issues pop up on me from time to time and I'm sure it will again.  Get the tiller right and let the weight be what it is, then make the adjustments on the next one.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2014, 02:35:31 pm »
Nicely done, tiller looks great. Getting a lot of weight out of the short ones can be tough for anyone.
Hows it look unbraced and what is a BLO finish?
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline tanner

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2014, 04:20:20 pm »
Here's what it looks like from the side - took an inch or more of set (pulled out my reflex).

By BLO I meant Boiled Linseed Oil. Sorry - I'd seen guys abbreviate it like that on woodworking sites. :)

Something new for me on these bend-in-the-handle bows is the amount of string slap I'm getting. Do I need to raise the brace height? Hold it better (right)? Just live with it?

Thanks again for all the help guys!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2014, 07:45:04 pm »
you want to adjust the brace where it shoots good,, then wear an arm guard if needed,, if you brace it higher it will put more strain on the bow,,

Offline docmann

• Proud Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2014, 03:40:49 am »
You've done a nice job with your yellow lumber. While it's a little late, I too just finished up an Osage shorty with working handle. I'm 51" NTN and tillered it to a 25" draw. It's an entirely straight stave with no tip modification. At that draw length, there's no stacking and groups very well. I'm typically one who shoots only long bows with classic non-working handle, however this little bow is about to convert me. It will be in my hand when the sun comes up on day 1 of deer season. To avoid over drawing, I produced short arrows exclusively for this bow. However, I was also having good luck with simply taping off my longer arrows so as to let my left hand know when I reached my 25" of pull. Good luck and congratulations on a job well done!

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2014, 12:11:47 pm »
    one thing i learned about short bows, form, practice form, short bows are very sensitive to bad habits. i love short bows, and yours look very good

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club