Main Discussion Area > Cooking Forum

Fermented Hot Sauce

(1/2) > >>

SeanStuart:
OK, I'll go first:

This is how I make Lacto-fermented hot sauce. Super easy and tastes much better than store bought. I have about 15 plants out in the garden, Habeneros, Spanish Cherries, Cayenne, Jalapeno, etc.  that are going to make a ton of this in a month or two.

Fermented Hot Sauce

Keep in mind that I don’t measure anything, so theses are estimated amounts but make sure you get the salt in there, it prevents the funk from growing.

3# Hot peppers – Red chiles make much better sauce. Green ones get a vegetable flavor.
5-6 cloves garlic
1 onion if you want
1 oz kosher salt or sea salt – Not iodized
1 oz sugar
Whey from the top of yoghurt, I understand this is not required, but have never tried without it. This starts the Lacto-fermentation.

- Wash the Chiles and cut most of the stem off, the crown is ok.
- Puree everything except the whey, coarse or fine, your call. If you do coarse, you will get a thinner sauce. Add the whey.
- Add a bit of water so the chiles are covered, if needed. Mix.
- Put it in a non-porous crock or jar with plenty of headroom. It will expand while fermenting.
- Put in dark relatively cool place (70 to 80*) for 5-7 days, or longer. Check it daily and swirl it. It may put off some aroma as it ferments! You will see it bubbling and fermenting.
- When it is done fermenting, push it through a coarse strainer. Use the juice as sauce and the pulp for whatever you want– soup, sauce, spreads, dips?

Some things that I have found

- Do not use too much more garlic, you will stink up your whole house as it ferments!
- Do not add celery or other vegetables, I think it tastes too vegative. YMMV.
- Same thing with green chiles, they add a skunky flavor. Less than 1/3 is ok.
- You don’t need to measure anything just chuck it in there. Use judgment.

With the last recipe, I charred a small plank of walnut wood and put it in the jar with the sauce it is fantastic. I am planning a small walnut cask of some sort.

I would puree more than this picture, but it will work just fine like this.

tattoo dave:
I can foresee this getting dumped on some venison chile. YUMMY! That has to happen in my life. Thanks for sharing.

Tattoo Dave

bubby:
Sean sounds fantastic, I'm going to print it out and make some copys, I've got some buddys that will love it

mullet:

--- Quote from: bubby on July 01, 2014, 08:14:23 pm ---Sean sounds fantastic, I'm going to print it out and make some copys, I've got some buddys that will love it

--- End quote ---

Me too. I have a garden full of Tabascos, Ghost Peppers, Scorpions, Thai and Grove peppers.

SeanStuart:
Mullet, you got the hotrods. I have never tried a Ghost or Scorpion. Too much heat for me I think. Love to see some pics though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version