Author Topic: my killer baked beans  (Read 9459 times)

Offline bubby

my killer baked beans
« on: July 01, 2014, 08:33:54 pm »
I've catered a few large party's, BBQ always, and I've been told these are the best baked beans and they are super easy to make
 first thing I cook up a pound of bacon, then I'll dice a half a white onion and sauté it in bacon grease, drain and set aside, then I use a gallon of pork & beans and pour it in a baking dish, I use baking stones/pans, chop the bacon and add it and the onion, put in a handful or so of brown sugar and about a 1/3 of a 8oz jar of molasses  and about a tbls of regular old yellow mustard stir it up good and put it in the oven on 350 deg.stir it once in a while as the brown sugar melts for a 1/2 hr to 45 min depending how thick you want it
as you can tell I don't measure much hell I ain't making a cake here just taste it and add a little more of whatever you think it needs, I can tell by the color if it's right
try this I promise you won't be disappointed , bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Adam

Re: my killer baked beans
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 10:12:14 pm »
Any time a recipe begins with "first thing I cook up a pound of bacon," you've got a winner!  Sounds really tasty. I'll have to give it a try.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 12:06:43 am »
Bubby, just so happens I have to bring sweet tea and baked beans as my part in the family get together on the 4th...Bacon and sauteed onions are always a wiener ;)
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 12:54:13 am »
I am always asked to bring these to any party, one more my youngest hates mustard and I leave it out quite often, great either way

Offline chamookman

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 05:30:48 am »
Man - those sound good Bub ! Thanks for sharing. I  always add mustard to home made bean soup also - Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 08:31:10 am »
Sounds good, going to have to try it out. Thanks Bubby!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 12:40:38 pm »
Any time a recipe begins with "first thing I cook up a pound of bacon," you've got a winner!  Sounds really tasty. I'll have to give it a try.

X2 and then some. 

Russ

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 12:53:03 pm »
As far as flavor goes you can't go wrong with bacon or brown sugar  :)
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 06:03:18 pm »
That does sound good. Although how could you possibly go wrong? Got all the best stuff in there!

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 11:41:36 pm »
Bubby, the beans were smashing...Everybody enjoyed
                                                                                  Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline bubby

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2014, 12:43:57 am »
Glad you all liked them Don, happy 4th

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 09:02:29 am »
Sounds like my Grammys beans, except she also adds green peppers. They also turn out well from a dutch oven.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 05:48:32 am »

I have forwarded this recipe to a lot of friends, and they all have the same recipe almost, and one had it exactly like yours.  Just can't seem to keep a secret recipe,secret  anymore..... ;D

Offline Billinthedesert

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2014, 08:15:32 pm »
Very similar deal here, but I like to cut up a couple of Hatch chilis, or if none, a couple of jalapenos or a couple of chipotles in adobo sauce. Also toss in a few squirts of Worcestershire and a capful of Wright's Liquid Smoke to chase the molasses. Several hours in a slow oven, stirring occasionally, it gets darker and richer. Oh boy!