Author Topic: Favorite Venison cut.............  (Read 20858 times)

Offline chamookman

Favorite Venison cut.............
« on: July 02, 2014, 05:47:27 am »
OK - besides the Back Straps, what's Your fav? Mine is the over looked Neck Roast. Slow cooked like a Pot Roast - I add onion, garlic LOTS of Lea & Perrin and water in a covered roasting pan - slow and low, 325 deg. for about 4 hrs (5 if You have the time). Check and maintain  the liquid in the pan and add halved potatoes the last 45 minutes or so. It should fall off the bone- make the BEST gravy in the World. The neck bones give tons of flavor. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline TRACY

Re: Favorite Venison cut.............
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 08:24:19 am »
Man that sounds delicious Bob! Hard to go wrong with slow cooked venison.

Besides fresh loin grilled rare with salt and pepper, I'd say a roast from any one of the hind quarter muscles seared with onions and garlic then put in slow cooker with potatoes and carrot and portabella mushrooms.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Brock

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 08:47:31 am »
ground venison actually....other than backstraps we get rest made into hot sausage links and ground venison.  my wife makes chili, spahetti, manicotti, lasagna and meat loafs from it....damn it is good.

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 11:03:41 am »
My favorite besides the straps is the heart, I like to take a fillet knife and basically ski,r and roll till I have one nice steak, then I'll put for provolone and mustard down with some thin onion A.D. roll it up and tie it then bake, cut in half inch thick slices it's good
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 11:24:27 am »
Good O'l fried cube steak is hard to beat...Make gravy from the drippings and taters any way you like...Steak and gravy over mashed is my favorite!  ;)
                                                                                    Don, now I'm hungry...
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Stringman

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 11:55:40 am »
That pulled shoulder that the twin oaks gang pulls off is pretty darn good, but tops is the catfish inside the backbone!

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 12:56:14 pm »
How about  the pieces , can them up and then throw them in with  some fresh duck egg noodles and away we go !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 04:50:36 pm »
I like that slow cooked neck roast, also. The wife crock potted one all day Monday. I also like to cut thick steaks of backstrap, marinate it all night in Allegro Marinade  then wrap it in bacon and cook on a real hot grill. Just until the bacon is crispy, then serve with a real, good blue cheese crumbled on it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 08:18:27 pm »
Man....  Eddie your killing me......................
I think this Forum is going to make me gain weight by the next Classic!  And I was going to loose some to take on those TN hills better :-\
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2014, 09:53:51 pm »
Thats a tough call there. Other than the back straps, the inside tenderloins for sure. I also like the football that comes off the hind quarters. Any of you guys that cut up your own venison will know what I'm talking about. Wrap it in bacon and slow smoke it on the grill. Yummy!

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2014, 10:19:56 pm »
I know what you mean, Dave, Excellent piece.I cut the meat and the wife used to be a meat wrapper for Publix Stores. And, sorry, overlooked the "anything but backstrap".
Lakeland, Florida

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2014, 10:27:44 pm »
Also like the liver. I hate any other kind of liver but venison. I like to cut it in thin (1/2"), steaks, lightly flour and pan fry in butter. Delicious :)
Lakeland, Florida

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2014, 11:39:57 pm »
All right, I have to go right to the heart of the matter....it's the heart.  And tradition is that I serve the heart the night of the kill.  There are two "seams" running slightly diagonally down the heart delineating between chambers of the heart.  Take a razor sharp knife and follow the smaller of those two seams.  Follow it in, and keep fileting your way through.  Eventually it opens like a scroll and you have a long rectangular steak.  Trip out all the strands and blood vessel bits, season with Montreal steak seasoning and lay over very very hot coals (preferably 2" squares of hickory burned down to coals) for about 3 minutes to a side.  Serve with anything you like, so long as a glass of inky dark Malbec is at my left hand. 

I need to do a video of how I filet a heart.  Hope I draw a deer tag this fall, so I can do that.  Neat trick taught to me by my buddy, Mikey! (Semper fi, you jarhead inkslinger, happy Fourth of July)
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2014, 12:41:36 am »
Deer backstrap is a traditional Christmas dinner for Marcia, Meredith and I.  I cut each side of the backstrap in half making 4 pieces. Take one piece and rub it with olive oil and salt and black pepper and sear it all around in a cast iron skillet. After searing put in a 350 oven for 15 minutes(med rare, or 20 minutes for medium). Remove from the oven and set the meat aside to rest. Deglaze the pan with stock, add a shot of bourbon(or brandy), a good splash of heavy cream and reduce by half. After the meat has rested for 10 minutes or so slice in into medallions. Add any meat juices into the sauce and pour it over the medallions. I usually serve this with over roasted new potatoes, steamed broccoli and a tossed green salad with pecan pie with real whipped cream for dessert.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bubby

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2014, 12:54:27 am »
Sounds great Pat, all but the broccoli, just don't have the palate for it
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹