Author Topic: Favorite Venison cut.............  (Read 20860 times)

Offline chamookman

Re: Favorite Venison cut.............
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2014, 05:03:28 am »
Yepper - The Heart & Inner Loins NEVER make to the freezer. The Heart Always the day of the kill  - I'd really like to See Your filet how to JDub. I just cut it cross ways about 1/2" thick and pan fry in a hot pan. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2014, 10:10:07 am »
Anyone that harvests a deer, I will pay for the disposal of the tenderloins.  I will hook you up with a dry ice supplier and the money for overnight freight to my place.  No one should have to eat that cut.  When you dice it and do a simple sear with caramelized onions, it's just horrible.  Makes you want to die.  Won't even stay together in your mouth, it just has to fall apart at the first chew and explode with "flavor".

I like the heart, I like the liver, I every scrap of meat I can get off the bones.

I do NOT like the brain.  Prions terrify me.
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2014, 11:12:23 am »

I do NOT like the brain.  Prions terrify me.

I see more people driving those lately.  I hear they may not have a lot of power, but get great mileage.   >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2014, 05:20:26 am »
TOO FUNNY JDub  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:!
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Forest_Farmer

• The best things in life are not things,,,,,,!
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2014, 10:56:15 am »
I like to make fajitas with steaks cut from the hind quarters. Cut the meat into very thin strips, no thicker than 1/8" and try to cut them across the grain.  Marinade them in Worcester sauce, soy, lime juice, adobo spice mix and green Tabasco .
Slice up red peppers and onions and fry them I a very hot cast iron skillet til soft and have some good char marks.
Remove the veg from the pan and get it very hot again.  Add a couple tablespoons of oil and QUICKLY cook the meat, about 1 min.  Add the veg back to the pan and pour in about a 1/4 cup of the same marinade mix that was used for the meat, mix and remove from the heat.
Sever with warm corn tortillas , sour cream , guacamole, cilantro and a squeeze of lime.
I made these at the TN Classic this year for Matt and heather Wirwicki with moose over the fire pit.  Smoke in the eyes added to the flavor, lol.
When I stop learning please put me in a box!

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2014, 09:50:37 pm »
A good roast put in a slow cooker with two cans of mushroom soup and cooked all day. Best meat there is.

I got a meat tenderizer that you can put small cuts of steak through, which makes a cubed or Salsbury type of meat. Pan fry then add flour and water with portabella mushrooms and  cook for couple hours on low heat.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Tyke

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2014, 10:06:28 pm »
Nothing like rocky mountain oysters deep fried of course
why buy it when you can build it

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2014, 05:08:44 pm »
It's all good. I like the sirloin tips left whole for roast, grilled steaks cut from the tender center-ham muscle, all of it. Ground is great for tacos, burgers, whatever. I like ham meat sliced into strips for stir-fry, sliced paper thin for gyros or Phillie steaks, or cubed, breaded, and fried. Backstraps are great any way you fix them. My favorites are butterflied into steaks or left whole and grilled medium-rare, or sliced into medallions, pounded, and fried in cast-iron with some fried taters and cornbread. Tenderloins like the backstraps. I've even oiled a tenderloin with sesame oil, rolled it in black and white sesame seeds, grilled medium-rare and served with pickled ginger like tuna. The whole shoulders make great smoked, pulled bbq. Deer meat is great any way you fix it as long as you don't overcook it.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 05:25:50 pm by Hillbilly »
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2014, 05:34:03 pm »
My family eats several deer a year, and I go outside the box with it sometimes.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2014, 05:44:29 pm »
Hillbilly..............your killing me, love to have some of that.. :'( :'( ..............:laugh:
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline chamookman

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2014, 05:19:38 am »
Man - I'm hungry now ! Bob

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2014, 08:09:25 pm »
Hillbilly
that all looks soooo good.
now im starving n I just finished supper!

Offline RabidApache

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2014, 06:44:21 pm »
All sound excellent........but my recipe and prep is so simple and quick. Kind of a local "apache favorite" in my group. After a successful day of hunting take fresh deer/elk ribs split down with backbone in or out. Next with meat side out place over hardwood coals on a grill about 10-12" from heat source for about 10mins. Sprinkle meat side with fresh cracked pepper and salt. I also add a touch of garlic powder. For final cook off, flip on to flesh side for 5-8mins depending on heat. Chop into sections and serve in fresh tortillas wrap with roasted green chili. Good stuff after a long day.
Also Leg shank over coals. Roast marrow, than crack open and smear marrow butter onto fresh tortillas O:).
Forever making arrows!

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2014, 09:31:29 pm »
smear marrow butter onto fresh tortillas
My life will never be the same.  I have seen the light.
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline chamookman

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2014, 06:15:10 am »
MMMMMMMMMM morrow ! Bob