Author Topic: Shell tool pondering  (Read 36720 times)

Offline swamp monkey

Shell tool pondering
« on: July 03, 2014, 12:11:09 am »
Coastal natives like the Calusa made a lot of tools from shells.  They had little to no rock resources.  So as I made a few shell tools I began to ponder how they did this.  I assume shells were used to shape other shells into tools.  They were used to grind, saw, peck and sand tools into shape.  I suppose that the Calusa crafters looked at shells the way I do at different trees.  Some trees are better for certain things thanks to their characteristics.  I.e., Osage will make a bow while pine is better for other products.  So my pondering is what species were good for making shell tools that make shell tools?

Offline swamp monkey

Re: Shell tool pondering
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 12:13:07 am »
A Celt and an adze of shell.  Not mine. Borrowed the images for explanation purposes.

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 12:15:55 am »
A Calusa village. Mounds were made of shells.

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 06:39:45 pm »
I got a hold of a fella in Florida who makes the tools I have pictured above.  He was most gracious with some information. 

He indicated that adze blades were crafted from lightning whelk and celts were taken from Queen conch.  He also indicated that some rocks were used in shell tool manufacture.  Limestone or sandstone were used to sharpen blades. 

I LOVE learning.   8)

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 10:42:04 am »
I just got back from a vacation where I visited Key Marco and Sanibel Island.  I found some limestone rocks along the beach.   I collected some raw material too.   8) 8)  My wife and I collected shells.  some were chosen for beauty and some because they would make a fine scraper, adze etc.   ;)  I will be experimenting as time allows.

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 11:04:47 am »
While on a camping trip recently, I brought some mussel shells along to create temper for pottery use.  Here in Missouri we have a daily possession limit of five mussels per day. I only collect the expired shells but that law covers me.  Anyhow, the process involves placing the mussels in the fire and allowing them to flake apart.   I placed papershell mussels and parts from three ridge mussels that were left over from replica projects.  The papershell mussels flaked in less than 20 minutes (perhaps less - I walked away) however, the three ridge mussels didn't have much sign of flaking. I expect it would take repeated or prolonged exposure to fire to delaminate the larger thicker mussel.  That would be a good science project . . . hmmmm.

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 11:41:40 am »
A few more Celt and adze images.  Both items were made from queen conch or lightning whelk. 

Offline Newindian

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 01:31:30 pm »
Very interesting looking forward to seeing the finished product
I like free stuff.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 01:33:08 pm »
Very interesting thread.  I have messed with shells some but I need to explore more as there are plenty of shells around my area.  What do you know about shell spear points or arrow heads?
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 02:41:20 pm »
Shell arrowheads are an interesting topic.  I know it can be done but that is about it.  As for hooks and spears, I have seen descriptions of them for the Pacific coast tribes .  In William Henry Holmes book art in shell of the ancient Americans, he states that " the use of shell in the manufacture of fishing implements seems to have been almost unknown among the tribes of the Atlantic coast". Keep in mind this was published in 1923.  Archeologists may have made new discoveries since then. 

Part of this may have to do with manufacture time.  The work involved with shaping shell makes me think that if I can get the same function for a bull shark tooth, or an arrow head -- well I would.  Less time is invested.  I know time is not always the issue.  Look at how much time goes into making a stone bannerstone, an igneous ax or a black drink cup.  They are time expensive items by comparison to other crafts.  However, the absence of shell spears and arrowheads makes me think effort was the issue here. 

Theoretically, I would say shell would make a solid harpoon point.  The stuff is really hard to work because it is tough.  I  have worked some bone, but not a lot.  It would be interesting to see which one would be more durable bone or shell harpoon blades. 

But I am still learning.  Notice all the weasel words like " I think," and "I would say".  I will keep digging.  Fun stuff to learn about.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 10:25:18 pm by swamp monkey »

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 06:33:34 pm »
They're not weasel words.  We're just discussing ideas and neither of us are authorities on the subject.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 08:42:55 pm »
 ;) like minds. 

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 05:51:58 pm »
Another cool thread!  :)

I've made both shell and bone arrowheads and bone is easier.  It's easier because you can hold onto a long bone easier than a shell fragment.  You shape the arrowhead on the tip of the long bone and then snap off the arrowhead when you're done.  You can't do that with shell (at least none of the shells I've worked).  Shell is also more brittle than bone when it gets thin and pointy.  Bone actually bends noticeably before breaking.

Hopefully more will chime in on this subject.  I'd like to learn what experiences others have had with shell tools.  Swamp Monkey can't be the only Oooga Boooga fanatic here!  (It's ok if you are though  ;))
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 05:55:22 pm by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2014, 10:45:29 pm »
Whelks shells in the genus Busycon were used to make wood working adzes, hammers, chopping axes, fishing sinkers, net making tools, beads, drinking cups, gorget sand perhaps more.  Conch shells were used to make celts, net sinker.  Horse conch were also sinkers.  Clam shells were used for knives and scrapers or small adzes.    I will add more as I Find it.    This information came from the book The Calusa and Their Legacy: south Florida people and their environments. By Darcie MacMahon and William Marquardt. 
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 03:57:56 pm by swamp monkey »

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2014, 10:21:55 pm »
Very interesting thread.  I have messed with shells some but I need to explore more as there are plenty of shells around my area.  What do you know about shell spear points or arrow heads?

I ran across some research from the. Corpus Christi area of Texas where there were whelk columella points.  Whelk is incredibly hard stuff.  When the whorl is removed the long columella was heated in a fire to soften the shell some.  Then the columella was sharpened to a point.  Then it was trimmed to length.  These points are not terribly old in terms of age and were interpreted as arrow points. 

I have been skimming some archeological literature and have discovered some marine shell information.  Once I have more complete lists compiled I will share.  Certain shells were indeed used for specific uses.  Fun learning!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 10:27:45 pm by swamp monkey »