Author Topic: 2014 hunting adventures ?  (Read 6240 times)

Offline Little John

2014 hunting adventures ?
« on: July 03, 2014, 12:53:15 am »
Does any one have any big plans for this year?
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: 2014 hunting adventures ?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 05:48:43 am »
Yep,plan on killing some Whitetail,hope the Deer are on the same page with me and my plan. ;) ;D ;D ;D Bet you are getting ready for Elk by now.  ;) Starts pretty soon doesn't it ?
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 07:50:16 am »
Planning on packing in on horse back with Hawk Huston for elk and mule deer.  Antelope, black bear, wolf, and fall turkey if licenses work out!
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 08:32:38 am »
Be chasing whitetails locally this fall and winter, just like every year. Also hope to make a four day hunt/camp trip to a larger state forest in central Illinois that I used to hunt quite a bit but haven't been to in over ten years. Love that place because of the terrain and mixed hardwood, pine and prickly pear cactus timber. It used to be uncrowded there, 7500 acres and in the past when I would go during the midweek I would be one of only maybe 10 at the campground,
sometimes even the only one there aside from a few locals hunting after work each day. I'm guessing it is likely more crowded now than in the past as it seems all public parcels are anymore.
I dream about Elk every year. Last elk hunt was in '08 and I'm due for another, maybe next year.

I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 09:05:52 am »
I wish I had plans for a trip to Pleasantville, CO for an elk hunt in the Canyon of the Ancients with an excellent elk hunting partner.  :(
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 09:57:42 am »
squiggles in september and god willing whitetail in october
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 01:29:48 pm »
Elk hunt the last two weeks of September in Colorado. Also, the local whitetails will smell my tracks.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 02:46:56 pm »
They have cut back the deer tags in western South Dakota to 44% of last year's numbers due to chronic wasting disease and bluetongue beating up the herds horribly.  I have applied for Black Hills Rifle season and West River muzzleloader.  Those two used to be a "gimme" but I calculate a 1 in 4 chance of drawing a tag at all.  Archery tags were cut, too.  But I don't think I will apply because I know as summer progresses, I will become more and more busy and I won't be good enough with the bow to humanely hunt.  And if I can't do that I WON'T do that. Point at me and laugh if you will, I own the fact that I suck at shooting a bow and that I hate to practice. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2014, 11:22:33 pm »
Well, if I can make a reliable bow, then I might go and find some goats, and then after that a red or fallow deer.

I actually just learnt that New Zealand has the only wild herds in the Southern Hemisphere for several species of deer, but none close to me.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 02:28:00 am by Crogacht »

Offline chamookman

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2014, 04:43:26 am »
I applaud You JW for being honest enough to be able to admit that. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2014, 08:16:22 am »
I plan on putting a hill cane arrow and razor sharp trade point through a tender doe in about 3 months.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Will Tell

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2014, 09:15:00 am »
Same plans as last year with better results.lol Haven't killed a deer with my self bow and stone points yet, couple of misses on Deer and Turkey.

Offline Little John

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2014, 11:09:09 am »
Thanks guys, all lofty adventures. I was almost afraid we had all quit hunting by the lack of people talking up their fall plans. Well the time is getting close, best of luck to everyone.

Pappy, I am sure you will knock them dead, good luck and enjoy. Oh yea and by the way thanks for all you do for the archery community. Yep our season is drawing near, hope I can get caught up. Oh well I will be hunting caught up or not.

Joe, man oh man a pack trip with Mike to hunt big game the hard way. Truly a grand adventure. I hope to hear all about it, best of luck.

Pat, I totally wish you could make it out. It would make it the ultimate adventure. I am hoping the elk will be hanging out in the same area as last year. Hunting those desert elk is a totally different adventure, not knowing where your next drink is coming from and backpacking water.

Good hunting everyone, and keep those adventures coming, plans and trips and hunting storys

May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline 4dog

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2014, 09:36:29 am »
They have cut back the deer tags in western South Dakota to 44% of last year's numbers due to chronic wasting disease and bluetongue beating up the herds horribly.  I have applied for Black Hills Rifle season and West River muzzleloader.  Those two used to be a "gimme" but I calculate a 1 in 4 chance of drawing a tag at all.  Archery tags were cut, too.  But I don't think I will apply because I know as summer progresses, I will become more and more busy and I won't be good enough with the bow to humanely hunt.  And if I can't do that I WON'T do that. Point at me and laugh if you will, I own the fact that I suck at shooting a bow and that I hate to practice.

so not the reason for pointing and laughing Jdub !  lol...(what..im joking of course)
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2014, 11:04:55 pm »
I'm still waiting to hear if plans come through for southern Ohio whitetail. I live in Michigan, and this would be the first hunting trip out of state for me, hopefully with many more to come. One of these days, I'll make it out west to chase after some mullies, elk, and whatever else I can fling an arrow at.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI