Author Topic: 2014 hunting adventures ?  (Read 6242 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: 2014 hunting adventures ?
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2014, 11:25:24 pm »
They have cut back the deer tags in western South Dakota to 44% of last year's numbers due to chronic wasting disease and bluetongue beating up the herds horribly.  I have applied for Black Hills Rifle season and West River muzzleloader.  Those two used to be a "gimme" but I calculate a 1 in 4 chance of drawing a tag at all.  Archery tags were cut, too.  But I don't think I will apply because I know as summer progresses, I will become more and more busy and I won't be good enough with the bow to humanely hunt.  And if I can't do that I WON'T do that. Point at me and laugh if you will, I own the fact that I suck at shooting a bow and that I hate to practice.

so not the reason for pointing and laughing Jdub !  lol...(what..im joking of course)

Checking my fly....
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2014, 12:09:56 am »
Seeing this thread reminded me to check the Game and Fish website for South Dakota.  They are offering antelope tags in my favorite zone again!!!  I got my app in and can't wait to see if I draw or get a preference point. 

Oh joy of joys, antelope hunting!  Knees and elbows full of cactus spines, sweat flies in my mouth and nose, sunburnt neck, blisters on my feet from miles and miles of walking, game that spots you three miles away and can run 60 mph!  Oh rapturous joy!

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2014, 12:16:08 am »
Muleys, muleys, muleys, oh and maybe some elk, antelope, whitetail, turkey, ducks, geese pheasants, sharptail and maybe some huns if I can find some.
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2014, 01:29:33 pm »
Hungarian fartriges!  Remember how Elmer Fudd gets flustered and his gun flies up in the air spinning and comes down with him looking down the open muzzle with the buttstock pointed at Bugs?  That's me and fartriges, only less elegant. 

Why, oh why do they conflusticate me so badly when I love them so dearly?!?!?!  I have expended cases of shells at them and my total tally in 51 years can be counted on one hand, not using ring finger, middle finger or index finger. 

Their scientific name is Perdix perdix.  The word perdix in early Latin is a vulgar slang term for farting.  Apparently the Romans thought this little bird's whirring wings reminded them of a Senator's one cheek sneak in the Coliseum!  They just make me shart my toga when they flush. 

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2014, 06:52:33 pm »
I plan on eating the forky that I missed last year.  :)

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.