Author Topic: Prepping game from field to table  (Read 15029 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Prepping game from field to table
« on: July 03, 2014, 11:44:00 am »
How do you guys prep your venison after the kill. When I have the time I remove the shoulders, hams and cut the mid section in half across the body. I put it in the frig (extra frig in the basement for this and sinew and feather storage)with air space around each piece for 10 to 14 days. I like to leave the ones in during the ageing. The meat will "skin over" during this time. When I'm ready to process I cut the dried meat(thin layer) off and then release each muscle for individual wrapping and freezing.
 Most meat you buy in the store has been aged. This begins a controlled decomposition which tenderizes the meat and adds to its flavor.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Prepping game from field to table
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 03:03:39 pm »
The aging process Pat describes is not a bacterial decomposition so much as it is enzymatic.  Huge world of difference between the two.  One causes spoilage, sickness and death while the other stimulates magical and mystical things within the muscle tissue that exhibits itself in richer flavor, more tender steaks and roasts, and great celebration among those that practice this strange and esoteric craft.

I'm pretty dang lucky.  Other than archery antelope season, our big game seasons usually allow me to hang my game in the garage and carefully monitor the temps.  I now use an instant read digital thermometer in one ham of the deer and another in a front shoulder.  There is enough of a temperature difference that I have had to take a deer down from his hind ankles to hang by the neck.  I like to get 14 days of hang time if I can.  Our climate is pretty dry and any exposed flesh immediately glazes over by drying out.  I leave the hide on to slow the drying process, but still find that the deer loses a good amount of weight over that time anyway.

I have never had "gamey" venison that has been aged this way.  Not even the antelope I was able to hang for up to 14 days.  That does NOT mean that it loses it's own flavor and suddenly it tastes like bland grain fed factory steer!  Oh no, it retains that flavor of venison, but does not get rank or strong. 

The key is in the temperature.  Above 38 degrees the aging speeds up exponentially so that if it reaches 40, it gets cut up that day even if it means not going in to work. Below 38 it slows until at 32 degrees it barely creeps along.  If I were to hold at 32 degrees, I would venture to say you would want to give it 28 days of aging!  You gonna pay about $65 a pound for T-bone beef aged 28 days. 

Last year I tried an experiment to try cutting down on moisture loss.  I have one of those pump sprayers for cooking oil and I spray painted the interior of the carcass after allowing it 48 hours to "skin over" as Pat puts it.  I think it retained a bit more moisture and there was less waste trimming off the crusties.  Does the moisture loss cause the meat to cook up more dry?  Danged if I know, I cook mine to rare, medium rare at the most and have noticed no difference.  The few roasts that end up crock potted with veggies and all to make pot roast can't be too dry because they are swimming in beef broth and good red wine!  If you are cooking to medium well or (God help you fools) well done, there ain't a thing you can do to keep it from drying out.  You can't even inject enough moisture into it to save a steak from that treatment.

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 03:32:21 pm »
If it's not in the hundreds I hang it in the shade, if not I'll cut it up, I don't go to the butcher to often bunch of butchers in my family if I need help, but heck I don't get a deer every year anyways, I think the most important thing is to field dress it and get it cooled down asap
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 07:32:43 pm »
Gut it and cool it down, bring it home and hang it until it's ready.  I give it a week at 35 hide on
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 11:46:02 pm »
We field dress the deer and then bring them to the house.  I built a heavy duty skinning station behind my Dads garage.  We skin them, quarter them up, and then put them in a fridge.  I can get a deer from on the hoof to the fridge in about an hour if the shot is good and it doesn't go far.  We can check the deer in online now which saves a lot of time.  I like to let them age just above freezing for 1-2 weeks.  I process the meat myself.  I cut it into roasts, steaks, and small chunks.  I save some of the scraps and trimmings for catfish bait.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline chamookman

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 05:29:08 am »
Do it the same way Clint (,cept the Catfish bait :laugh:). Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 08:12:38 am »
You should try the catfish bait Bob.  I caught a 30 lb cat on a chunk of deer scraps.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 07:58:09 pm »
Hide on
hange for at least a week if its too cold a lot longer
unless I am canning it then get at it right away as some cannerys let it set there
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 09:36:12 pm »
If it is cold usually three days with hide on. If hot I skin and lay it on ice in a cooler. Do not want it getting into water so I prop it up and allow water to drain out. What cuts or trimmings you use for burger really doesn't need to be aged since it is getting ground into burger. Steaks, roasts and back straps need aging.

I have heard many times that fat needs to be added to burger to make it hold together. I do not add any fat to venison burger and it patties just fine. I like it lean and all venison.

Also the thick winter fat on the exterior of the body can have a gamey flavor. Fat found between the muscles is good to leave in the grinding or on a steak.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline 4dog

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 12:50:44 am »
too hot in texas to "hang" anything...i use an ice chest ..put ice down ..then meat..then top with ice...check it every day ,,add ice if needed...keep the plug open and let it drain...do thos for 3 to 7 days...mmmmm...gaminess gone ...then remove and process...put processed meat in freezer... did a sow like this and you could pull the backstraps apart with your hands
made some up with wild rice and onions...it was awesome!  dont remember a winter in texas you could hang age meat.
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 09:31:40 pm »
I do the same as 4Dogs, hot here, too.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Tyke

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 09:53:59 pm »
If you take it to a processing plant you just ruined your kill throw it away and start over
Hang it,bleed it,skin it,cure it then cut it up and eat it and if your feeling adventurous wrap it in bacon
P.S. dont ever share the backstraps
why buy it when you can build it

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 10:07:47 pm »
Funny you should mention that, tyker!  We have horrible deer up here, they don't even come with backstraps. 

Last guy that asked me to cut up his deer for him for free found that out the hard way.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Tyke

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2014, 10:22:09 pm »
Thats exactly what would happen if somebody asked me to cut up there deer I'd label the hind quarter packages as loin >:D
why buy it when you can build it

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 09:00:55 am »
Tyke is a sneeky bugger like that  >:D . He has shared a lot of wild game with me. So he isn't all bad.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.