Author Topic: Fermented Hot Sauce  (Read 9980 times)

Offline SeanStuart

Fermented Hot Sauce
« on: July 01, 2014, 11:39:13 am »
OK, I'll go first:

This is how I make Lacto-fermented hot sauce. Super easy and tastes much better than store bought. I have about 15 plants out in the garden, Habeneros, Spanish Cherries, Cayenne, Jalapeno, etc.  that are going to make a ton of this in a month or two.

Fermented Hot Sauce

Keep in mind that I don’t measure anything, so theses are estimated amounts but make sure you get the salt in there, it prevents the funk from growing.

3# Hot peppers – Red chiles make much better sauce. Green ones get a vegetable flavor.
5-6 cloves garlic
1 onion if you want
1 oz kosher salt or sea salt – Not iodized
1 oz sugar
Whey from the top of yoghurt, I understand this is not required, but have never tried without it. This starts the Lacto-fermentation.

- Wash the Chiles and cut most of the stem off, the crown is ok.
- Puree everything except the whey, coarse or fine, your call. If you do coarse, you will get a thinner sauce. Add the whey.
- Add a bit of water so the chiles are covered, if needed. Mix.
- Put it in a non-porous crock or jar with plenty of headroom. It will expand while fermenting.
- Put in dark relatively cool place (70 to 80*) for 5-7 days, or longer. Check it daily and swirl it. It may put off some aroma as it ferments! You will see it bubbling and fermenting.
- When it is done fermenting, push it through a coarse strainer. Use the juice as sauce and the pulp for whatever you want– soup, sauce, spreads, dips?

Some things that I have found

- Do not use too much more garlic, you will stink up your whole house as it ferments!
- Do not add celery or other vegetables, I think it tastes too vegative. YMMV.
- Same thing with green chiles, they add a skunky flavor. Less than 1/3 is ok.
- You don’t need to measure anything just chuck it in there. Use judgment.

With the last recipe, I charred a small plank of walnut wood and put it in the jar with the sauce it is fantastic. I am planning a small walnut cask of some sort.

I would puree more than this picture, but it will work just fine like this.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
Re: Fermented Hot Sauce
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 05:56:05 pm »
I can foresee this getting dumped on some venison chile. YUMMY! That has to happen in my life. Thanks for sharing.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 08:14:23 pm »
Sean sounds fantastic, I'm going to print it out and make some copys, I've got some buddys that will love it
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 08:57:45 pm »
Sean sounds fantastic, I'm going to print it out and make some copys, I've got some buddys that will love it

Me too. I have a garden full of Tabascos, Ghost Peppers, Scorpions, Thai and Grove peppers.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline SeanStuart

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 09:26:40 pm »
Mullet, you got the hotrods. I have never tried a Ghost or Scorpion. Too much heat for me I think. Love to see some pics though.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 12:51:13 pm »
Sounds good to me !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 10:21:40 pm »
Sean, I'll get some pictures up after getting back from the Alexacarrie Plantation and can get you some seeds if you want.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline stickbender

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 12:26:43 am »

I think I just sent you two emails.  I thought the first one got eaten by the electron gremelins.  But I think it went through.  Anyway, sorry about that.

Wayne