Author Topic: Igneous adze uh oh  (Read 5328 times)

Offline swamp monkey

Igneous adze uh oh
« on: July 04, 2014, 06:23:04 pm »
I decided to craft an igneous celt using 100% authentic techniques.  I had about 2 hours of pecking invested in this when a huge section fractured out.  I produced my very best Homer Simpson  :o :o :o :o :o and examined the damage.  It would appear that there was a line of different stone underneath where the whole thing cleaved off.  Marble cake in a manner of speaking.

I truthfully have to say I am glad it did this in the second hour instead of the 89th hour.   ;)

Offline Patches

Re: Igneous adze uh oh
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 12:16:34 pm »
Was that Madison county rock that broke? According to Larry Kinsella,  there is better working basaltic rock from Wayne county, but I do not know where the source of that rock is located.
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 07:27:54 pm »
It was Madison county rock.  I suppose I need to go hunt up some new rock sources.

Offline jamesbarbara

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 04:58:32 am »
Whats the speciality of this rocks

Offline stickbender

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 10:53:49 pm »
Whats the speciality of this rocks

Fracturing, cleaving.......etc.   ;D ;D ::) ;)

Wayne

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 03:42:51 pm »
Igneous rock like this tends not to fracture predictably.   I should say that is my experience.  Occasionally you see an igneous point from collections of archaic dart or spear points in Missouri.  Over all though the best way to shape igneous rock is peck and grind.  What I was doing should not have been a big deal.  But it was.  Oh well, start over.  :) :) :)