Author Topic: Deer jerky recipe  (Read 6267 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Deer jerky recipe
« on: July 05, 2014, 12:01:48 am »
I have tried a lot of jerky over the years.  This is by far my favorite.  I've had guys at work give me some of theirs and I couldn't stand to eat it because it was so bad.  I'm not sure how much deer meat I use.  Its about a quart freezer bag full.  I slice it thin and spread it out on foil covered pans.  I like to bake the meat at 225 for 20 minutes.  I don't think dehydrators get the meat hot enough so this should make it a little safer to eat.  It also cooks a lot of the blood out of the meat so it soaks up more marinade.  I let it set at least over night in the fridge. 

1 TBSP      liquid smoke
1/4 cup     soy sauce
1/3 cup     Worcestershire sauce
1/2 TBSP   ground cayenne pepper
1 TBSP      garlic powder
1/2 TBSP   crushed red pepper
1/2 TBSP   course ground black pepper
2 TBSP      salt

Sometimes I cut the peppers in half if I want a milder batch.  If I need to I'll ad just a little bit of water to make sure all the meat is in the mix.

I use this same recipe minus all the peppers for steaks. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bubby

Re: Deer jerky recipe
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 12:45:22 am »
Sounds great Clint I'll give it a try
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 10:21:18 am »
It's been many years since I made Deer jerky but this is a recipe and method I have used.

Marinade
2 Tbs soy sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup coarse salt
1 cup water
1 Tbs crushed chilli peppers
1/2 Tsp garlic powder
pinch cloves

Cut meat into strip 1/2" thick and marinate for a few hours.  Remove and rinse excess marinate off.  Smoke the meat using your favorite wood, I've used Maple, Apple, Plum, even used some shrubs such as Witherod.  I generally smoked the meat at a temp in excess of 200 degrees F for several hours till the meat was dry
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 02:04:47 pm »
Used to make jerky all the time -  the marinade we used was equal parts of sugar and salt in water, until a regular egg floated, then add tobasco, garlic and anything else you like, soak the meat in the mix overnight, and smoke the next day after allowing the meat time to dry and glaze over, for about 12 hours till it was dead and shriveled.  Mmmmmmmm.  One key is make sure that all fat has been trimmed from the meat. Our smoker was quite large so we also threw other stuff in there - cheddar cheese rounds, shrimp, and bluefish if we had any were always big hits with the crowd - - but we also stored perch filets from ice fishing season in the freezer till it was time to fire up the smoker - and they were the best.  Ahh -  good times. 

Russ

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 02:31:33 pm »
Used to make jerky all the time -  the marinade we used was equal parts of sugar and salt in water, until a regular egg floated, then add tobasco, garlic and anything else you like, soak the meat in the mix overnight, and smoke the next day after allowing the meat time to dry and glaze over, for about 12 hours till it was dead and shriveled.  Mmmmmmmm.  One key is make sure that all fat has been trimmed from the meat. Our smoker was quite large so we also threw other stuff in there - cheddar cheese rounds, shrimp, and bluefish if we had any were always big hits with the crowd - - but we also stored perch filets from ice fishing season in the freezer till it was time to fire up the smoker - and they were the best.  Ahh -  good times. 

Russ

Good times indeed!  And perch any way I can get 'em. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline jamesbarbara

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 05:08:46 am »
Looks amazing, going to have to try it out. Thanks

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 10:45:09 pm »
I'll share my secret jerky recipe, but only because I trust you guys not to share it with the unworthy. I don't like sweet jerky like the stores sell, all loaded with sugar. So, I came up with this marinade:

1 cup soy sauce
1 cup Bragg's apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon hickory liquid smoke
2 tablespoons dried, crushed New Mexico green chiles

Make more if you need more increasing amounts accordingly. This recipe makes a nice, tangy, savory jerky. 
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline TRACY

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 01:45:08 pm »
I have tried a lot of jerky over the years.  This is by far my favorite.  I've had guys at work give me some of theirs and I couldn't stand to eat it because it was so bad.  I'm not sure how much deer meat I use.  Its about a quart freezer bag full.  I slice it thin and spread it out on foil covered pans.  I like to bake the meat at 225 for 20 minutes.  I don't think dehydrators get the meat hot enough so this should make it a little safer to eat.  It also cooks a lot of the blood out of the meat so it soaks up more marinade.  I let it set at least over night in the fridge. 

1 TBSP      liquid smoke
1/4 cup     soy sauce
1/3 cup     Worcestershire sauce
1/2 TBSP   ground cayenne pepper
1 TBSP      garlic powder
1/2 TBSP   crushed red pepper
1/2 TBSP   course ground black pepper
2 TBSP      salt

Sometimes I cut the peppers in half if I want a milder batch.  If I need to I'll ad just a little bit of water to make sure all the meat is in the mix.

I use this same recipe minus all the peppers for steaks.

Looks very similar to what I've used in the past. If you want more of a teriyaki flavor then swap out the soy for teriyaki.  Good mix of spices and flavorings in this one, hard to go wrong :)

It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2014, 09:36:54 am »
I have made many different mixes for sliced jerky and enjoyed most. I decided to purchase a Jerky Cannon that is like a chaulking gun and try it. I grind a lot of my meat into burger with no fats added, which makes it perfect for making "slim Jim" types of jerky. You can use your own ingredients or buy the assorted packaged mix at hunting box stores. They usually come with a cure mix and instructions for measured meat.
I then put them in a dehydrator and get some great tasting jerky sticks. You can also make them flat if you don't like the slim Jim style.

It's also a good way to use what venison you have left over from last year. I just put 1/2 an elk in my freezer my buddy shot and that allowed me to pull out around 8 pounds of venison that is left from last year. It is now in jerky sticks and will be eaten during this hunt season.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes