Author Topic: Will this string hold?  (Read 3483 times)

Offline Colindemo

Will this string hold?
« on: July 07, 2014, 11:05:54 am »
A question about a bowstring i made: It's a 100% linnen bowstring with 16 strands (2x8) and two flemish knots. The question is: will this string hold on a 80# ash warbow? I don't want to ruin my bow (and perhaps my eyes) by having the string break upon shooting my first arrows.
Made and bred in Holland, please return if found

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Will this string hold?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 12:25:13 pm »
Short answer.
Yes.
Long answer.
Just to be sure, tell us the breaking strain of one of the strands.
Also I believe a 3 ply gives a stronger string. E.G 3x5 my well be better than the 2x8.
I have no data to back this up other than TBB vol 4 I believe which gives an excellent how to of a 3 strand Flemish twist... I've used it a couple of times.
Personally I generally use continuous loop Astro filte or similar.
Anyhow 80# isn't V heavy and linen is good stuff
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 02:26:21 pm »
Yeah, I agree you should test the breaking strength if the linen doesn't already state what the breaking strength is. Than, once you figure out the breaking strength, (say it is 20 lbs), add enough strands to account for the draw weight of the bow x 4 or more, I usually do about 4 to 6 times the draw weight. So, for example, if your strands are 20 lbs breaking strength, and your bow is 80 lbs... you want enough strands to equal 320 lbs or more for 4 times the draw weight, in this example 16 strands since the strands would be 20 lbs breaking strength. :) It's best to check and be sure, not all linen is equal, like the stuff you get at the sewing store in little packs can be way less quality than the good stuff (which is the stuff you want)
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Colindemo

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 03:58:16 pm »
Unfortunately, my linen came from a sewing store. I will try to measure the breaking point and pray to the bowyers God that it's above 20lbs because "the good stuff" is also "the expensive stuff".
Made and bred in Holland, please return if found

mikekeswick

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 09:48:03 am »
It doesn't really matter about the breaking strain being over 20lbs - just test it and use what Toomanyknots said to work out your strand count.