Author Topic: 80", 80# Ash warbow build along (low-budget style)  (Read 17552 times)

Offline Colindemo

80", 80# Ash warbow build along (low-budget style)
« on: July 07, 2014, 04:45:06 pm »
Hey All,

I have been posting some questions in different sections about making my first warbow so I thought it would be better to just make one build-along where I can post my progress and ask for advice. I always enjoy reading trough build-alongs and I hope you guys will enjoy reading mine.

Like I said it's my first warbow and I don't want to aim for too heavy a draw-weight, so it's going to be around 80# which is probably all my tillering jig can handle. Did i mention i'm doing this on a tight budget? I will give a short review of what I've already done and what I want to end up with:

I bought an ash log and I stripped the bark, the first year ring is nice and thick so i'm going to use that one as the backing. I drew the dimensions on the backing, it's going to be 4cm (sorry for using the metric system but I am European after all  ;)) the first 20cm to each side of the center is 4cm and then I will let the width evely taper to the tips which are going to be rounded and 15mm in diameter.

This is about as far as I am now because I had to wait for some tools to come in by packet service. Just to give you an idea of what i'm working with: the only electric tool i have available is a jigsaw. The rest is all second hand and probably not top notch. Nonetheless, I'm going to give it my best shot and post my progress as I go. Hope you enjoy it and I'll check in everyday to take a look at your comments and/or questions.
Made and bred in Holland, please return if found

Offline Colindemo

Re: 80", 80# Ash warbow build along (low-budget style)
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 04:45:46 pm »
Here is the ash stave on the day it came in

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 06:11:22 pm »
Hey...I've seen that picture before ;)
It's Jorik here, from the Facebook group :) Keep us posted!
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Colindemo

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 06:13:17 pm »
Hey Jorik, nice to see you on this forum! I'll try to post my progress here as well as on the Facebook page so you get to enjoy it twice

Offline Colindemo

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 06:19:03 pm »
Right, so today i had some spare time and was able to reduce my stave to something resembling a bow. I got the (very) rough dimensions cut out but still way to thick to start tillering. I have encountered some problems when my drawknife cut away a little bit to much wood at the middle of the bow and i might opt to go with a stiff handle but we'll see as we go. For now enjoy the pictures, it won't change your life but always nice to see a bow in the making right?

Offline WillS

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 04:09:06 am »
Stiff handles don't work with warbows ;) for a start it wouldn't be allowed at official warbow meetings as warbows are full compass, but more importantly you need the whole limb working if you want the warbow draw at 32".

Have you read Jaro's buildalong on the warbow website for a heavy ash warbow?

If not it's here

http://www.theenglishwarbowsociety.com/Making_a_whitewood_longbow.html

Good luck!

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 04:17:25 am »
Stiff handles don't work with warbows ;) for a start it wouldn't be allowed at official warbow meetings as warbows are full compass, but more importantly you need the whole limb working if you want the warbow draw at 32".

Have you read Jaro's buildalong on the warbow website for a heavy ash warbow?

If not it's here

http://www.theenglishwarbowsociety.com/Making_a_whitewood_longbow.html

Good luck!

Not to hijack, but what is benefit of flipping the bow "upside down" for tillering in the link you provided?

Offline WillS

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 04:57:51 am »
Dunno what Jaro's reasons are, but I always do it that way because I can see the bend and movement better.  In my mind it replicates an actual draw more closely.  I don't even start like he does, I hang it from the string even on long string tillering.  Everybody has different ways though.  Some guys hate it that way round, and it does make getting accurate weights tricky.

Offline Colindemo

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 12:42:52 pm »
It has been a while but i'm still working on it. I have shortened the bow some 6 inches because 80" seemed a little excessive. I'm tillering now and currently at 25" and 60#. Does this tiller seem right to you guys? I'm feeling the limb on the left of the picture seems stiff but it seems to reverse when i turn it around. Any thoughts?

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 01:49:30 pm »
I'd say left limb looks to be bending a bit much at the tip, right looks a tad stiff.
If you do the CD test (Hold up a CD (other round objects are also available ;D) in front of the pic) it shows the potential hinge near the left tip.
BTW I work in inches for length and mm for width thickness. I think cm are the spawn of the devil and not an engineering unit.
Yeah 80" does seem a tad long, but taking off 6" seems a bit drastic, I'd have thought loose 4" then there is still a little wriggle room.
That's still on a long string isn't it? If so, get it braced immediately else you will be in danger of coming in underweight.
Del
(BTW the above is all just my opinion and you are welcome to take it or leave it, but please don't tell me I'm wrong, I got thoroughy sick of that on another thread  :o)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 01:53:09 pm by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline WillS

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 03:15:51 pm »
You're completely wrong Del.

*ducks out of the way*

Only kiddin'.

One thing I will add is that with ash, longer is better.  Don't try and treat it like yew or a laminate bow, which can handle pretty short lengths for a full draw, keep it as long as you possibly can until you're done, shoot the thing in a bit, then if you feel it needs to be shorter you can pike it afterwards.  That's my experience using English ash - dunno where this is from so you might find different results.

Offline Colindemo

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2014, 04:05:19 pm »
@Willis This is Dutch ash and seeing as our climate is similar to England i would say it's about the same.

@Del the cat It was 80" so i'm left with 74 which is about as tall as myself so it's not getting too short i think. There was a natural bend in the stave at around 37# and i decided to make that my center which left me with 74". Also, i'm thinking of reducing the weigth a bit because i drew a 80# warbow and it was a bit too much imo, i think i need to build up a little more muscle in my shoulder which i will do training with this one. I have another Ash stave standing ready which i will make taller and with a heavier draw weigth.

Thanks for your advice! I will look into that suspected hinge and after that i'll start on getting my horn nocks shaped and after they are on the bow i'll continue tillering. I'll keep you all posted

Offline Colindemo

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 08:43:04 am »
Altight, i finished shaping the nocks. They are not super pretty but i don't realy care  ;) They are in boiling water now and i'm waiting for them to become pliable enough to work them into the bow. Then i will let them cool off so they shape to the tips after which i will glue them into the bow. I read that epoxy is the best glue to use so i hope it's available somewhere nearby

Offline WillS

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2014, 09:54:39 am »
Superglue for horn nocks.  Every time!

What are you using boiling water for? The normal procedure is to simply drill them out, shape the bow tip to match the drill bit and glue them on.

Offline Colindemo

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2014, 10:52:56 am »
I read somewhere that, for a perfect fit, you boil the nocks to make them pliable then when you press them on the bow tightly they fit even better. And i must say i've done that now and they seem to fit perfectly so i guess it didn't hurt