Author Topic: I've gotta ask  (Read 30541 times)

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
I've gotta ask
« on: July 10, 2014, 09:38:21 am »
I am interested if anyone here has a recipe for Common Carp? I am serious here, they are very abundant, and large. Thanks for all the replies in advance.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: I've gotta ask
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 10:52:39 am »
Funny how that fish is the most commonly raised domestic animal on the planet, bar none, and somehow Americans are afraid of it as if it were poison! 

Bring on the recipes! As long as it ain't lima beans, I'm cool! (It's a textural thin, lima beans don't taste that bad.)
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 11:14:45 am »
Watched Andrew Zimmern on bizarre foods in St. Louis and they were commercial fishing for Asian carp. They filleted them and fried them like any other white fish you find in restaurants and claimed it was delicious. Solution to invasive species taking over, eat them ;D

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

JacksonCash

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 01:32:48 pm »
I saw somewhere, I think Chicago, that a meat processor was making asian carp into hotdogs and bologna. I'll have to see if i can dig up a link or something to that.

EDIT: It's a place called Schafer Fisheries. Google it for more info!
EDIT2: There is a field and stream article that has the video I saw, check that out.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 01:41:12 pm by JacksonCash »

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 01:56:11 pm »
I've never tried it but I've heard of people canning carp. They say it's good....?

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 03:48:18 pm »
I want to spear some with my home made bamboo harpoon. And then enjoy my catch. Why buy fish that you have no idea how they were raised when you can catch ones from waters that you already eat fish from?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 03:50:44 pm »
I have worked in aquaculture, JoJo.  I say gimme that carp and keep the tilapia.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 04:02:26 pm »
I've heard of folks making fish cakes from carp but I haven't tried the cakes or carp. Just never had the opportunity.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 04:44:19 pm »
Are we talking the European carp which has been here for a while? Or these crazy Asian invasives that jump and hit you in the face? Or does it matter?

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 05:19:06 pm »
We don't have the crazy face smashing carp here yet. The ones that made their way across Europe, and eventually to the US. Common Carp as I call them.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 06:14:36 pm »
The common carp was introduced in North America by settlers as a GAME FISH and for food! 

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 06:34:51 pm »
And for years there was a famous restuarant in Omaha called Joe Tesses that served the best fish sandwich you ever set your teeth into. You could either have white or dark fish and you guessed it, Carp.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 06:38:07 pm »
Oh man, I have heard of those sandwiches.  Apparently they were legendary!

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2014, 06:42:30 pm »
JW, located close to and caught fresh daily out of the Missouri River. It's been years since I've been there. A friend of mine told me a few years back that another restuarant in the vicinity served up one just as good if not better. Haven't been there to try it but if I happen to Omaha I'll make it a point to stop in.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2014, 10:43:41 pm »
Well, I've had few...ok maybe a lot of carp filets in my day. Back in college, me and a buddy would eat them on the regular. We would filet them, leave the skin on, and grill like any other grilled fish. From my experience its best to eat the small ones early in the spring when the water is still good and cold. The big ones tend to be kinda mushy, and once the water temps get up there, they all are a little mushy. It's been a long while, but we fed a lot of college kids carp, and every darn one of them loved it. Of course we didn't tell half of them it was carp. Good eatin as far as I'm concerned.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI