Author Topic: I've gotta ask  (Read 30339 times)

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
Re: I've gotta ask
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2014, 05:27:35 pm »
Pat, do you also eat them with Crystals hot sauce? I learned to love them from a man from Memphis. For the life of me I could never get Rodney to catch a trout though.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2014, 05:40:49 pm »
JoJo, I usually soak my catfish fillets in a mixture of Crystal hot sauce and lemon juice before breading and frying them. Good stuff.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2014, 11:49:36 pm »
Sounds awesome. I'll have to give that a try. Most of the people that would eat my cooking wouldn't be able to handle that, they have very tender pallets, Maybe the need to curse more like me to toughen them up!

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2014, 09:32:44 pm »
hey  lets get back to the carp thing  Ive had people sneek it in on me,,,,I dont remember how it was I think cubed mud vein removed and breaded in shore lunch corn meal and deep fried but I dont remember JeffW

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2014, 11:33:48 pm »
I've had it that way! It's ok, try soaking the filet in a brine them deep fry it in your favorite batter. Fish is just good to me. Remember to save those skins, remove the scales and scrape them good then tack them flat to dry. They make an awesome bow backing, like you would a snake skin! Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2014, 09:29:55 am »
I actually saw a carp backed bow sunday, I was in love. I want to for sure, It's just a matter of getting my carcass out of bed at a decent time. I usually am out of bed by about 6 on weekends, not lately.

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2014, 12:35:24 am »
I went tonight to find some Carp for meat and backing. No fish, all I saw was a bull frog. I did though find a new fishing hole. Walking along through the river I found a 8 foot deep hole. From knee deep, to 8 feet in a step. More than likely ruined my e-smoke, so there is $80 down the river. Luckily I had my phone in a ziplock bag. I keep the e-smoke in a top pouch of my camel back, but that went under right before my head did. Mostly the river is about 2 or 3 feet where I fish. To say the least it was a shock.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2014, 08:56:22 pm »
Ya you need to ask the old t imers where the swimming holes are before you go trapsing down the river !
Carp in cold water is about tbe same as most fish, as the waters warm up it gets a bit soft thats when you fix it up like salmon from the can , if you can eat that salmon that comes in a can you will love carp
as for the cats good stuff for sure , till I had some fixed  by a trottline fisherman
he ruined  me on cats purty much served it up raw, hit the grease flip it over and hit the plate thats the way be loved it  took him less time to cook it than you did to read it!
to each his own I reckon but sure fixed me !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2014, 11:36:08 pm »
The funny part is, is that I grew up on that river. It moves a lot, even from one year to another. The ground is all clay, so in high years the river may move 50 feet. My old good hole is gone. Army corps of engineers came this last winter and took the S out of the river and made it straight, and killed my favorite carp hole.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2014, 11:40:35 pm »
Even little old Rapid Creek in the Black Hills is ever-changing.  I used to have a honey hole  I called "Brownsville Station".  You could count on hitting at least three of four brown trout from this tree overhung cutbank.  At least one would be 16 inches or bigger.  It was a great spot.  Now it is a shallow gravel filled riffle when it was once 5 ft deep. 

I am trying a new catfish hole tomorrow nite.  This one is on private land and the landowner says he has not allowed anyone to fish that stretch for several years.  The nearest public access is over 6 river miles away.  I am quivering with excitement!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2014, 11:50:33 pm »
Carp sounds like Gar and Mud fish in Florida. The old Crackers and myself have no problem eating either. Gar when cleaned has no bones, just two backstraps of nice, white, textured meat, like shrimp or lobster. The mudfish is a tough, prehistoric, ugly fish full of teeth that has nice, white, flaky, meat that has to be iced downed pretty quick, but is hard to tell the difference between Flounder. Ugly fish get no respect. :) Now we have the armored catfish, the ones you see suctioned on the side of your aquariums that dip sh*%s released that are just as tasty as their cousins.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2014, 09:04:43 am »
Eddie, I like me some gar, it gets a bad rap for sure. Carp still tastes like carp, though. :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline DavidV

« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2014, 06:05:16 pm »
My favorite catfish are about 4" to 6" long, skinned, gutted, rolled in seasoned flour and cornmeal and dropped in hot grease. Right out of the river is best. Served with hush puppies, coleslaw and extra cold beer.  ;)

Pat, that's how I like em too :) most of the fish I eat is just from little ponds though so I get some small cats, panfish, and rock bass. Wish the family liked fish more or i'd be doing it now.
Springfield, MO