Author Topic: Zucchini and Crook Neck  (Read 9690 times)

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
Zucchini and Crook Neck
« on: July 11, 2014, 09:03:44 am »
I have a small garden, and of course I have to grow Zucchini and Crook Neck, and mostly they are cooked together. My wife peels, slices, and cooks it in butter with salt and pepper. My sister grills hers skin on, with just olive oil and garlic salt. How do you prepare yours?
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Zucchini and Crook Neck
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 09:20:41 am »
This year we grew straight neck squash. Same as crook neck but straight. I slice it and some onion and put it in the steamer with a bit od salt and fresh ground black pepper. When done I drain the water, add butter and stir it all up.
 My aunt used to sauté squash in bacon grease until almost mush. That was killer too. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 09:23:48 am »
We like to cube it up into 1" squares, then toss it on a cookie sheet with olive oil and roast it in the oven.  Matter of fact, we do almost all veggies that way. My wife has tried no less than 10 veggies that way. Parsnip is super sweet after its roasted. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Will H

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 11:19:46 am »
I like to cut zucchini into spears and coat them with oil and cheese then stick em in the oven for 20 min at 350.

Both are good just about anyway you cook em. But when you have a garden you get creative at cookin em with the abundance of food. One way I like to do squash and zucchini for breakfast is take a cheese grater to em. Then sauté em in a skillet for a bit and put em in a tortilla with eggs cheese some tomato from the garden. Whatever else you like.
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 11:37:14 am »
I just had a coworker tell me that she has an uncle in Italy who shreds them and pickles them (I canned some pickled asparagus last night). I bet that would be really good as well.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 11:39:25 am »
In the Summer we slice them up in strips or 1" across and toss with olive oil and a mix of garlic and herbs then BBQ till tender.  In the Winter it's the same but in the oven.  We quite often mix them up with red peppers, mushrooms and onions

I used to love parsnips Chris.  Can't seem to tolerate them anymore.

Your breakfast menu sounds good Will, minus the cheese.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 02:05:30 pm »
You plant one zucchini and it dies.  You plant two and you have too many.  It's the law.

And you know how if you decide late one afternoon to let that ONE zucchini go another day it, is as big as an Airstream camper the next morning?  Roll that big, green monster onto a wheelbarrow and take it up to the house.  Slice it in half lengthwise and scoop out the seedy middle.  Now stuff both sides with pork sausage or some other forcemeat kinda stuffing, put it back together and pin it with toothpicks to hold together. 

Roast this in the oven until a meat thermometer pushed to the center reads 165 degrees.  Pull from the oven and let rest about 10 to 15 minutes while the table is set and the rest of the meal is laid out.  Slice and gnosh!

I grew up in a small town.  We all locked our cars at night, not because of fear of someone stealing something, oh no!  It was to keep our neighbors from foisting off their extra zucchini on us!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 03:25:21 pm »
Wash them and slice cross ways into medallions and pile up in the skillet with sliced onions. Cook with butter until tender and eat it all.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 04:30:58 pm »
Luckily I have 180 coworkers at my zucchini disposal! Someone could leave a decaying duck on the lunchroom counter and someone would take it home!

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2014, 02:50:55 pm »
I like my squash small, 3-4 ' long, just slice them in half length wise, coat them in Italian dressing and throw them on the grill till I get char marks and eat'em
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2014, 03:38:49 pm »
Zucchini, I like to grill or use in stir-fry. Zucchini bread is good, too. Try taking some of those yellow crooknecks, slicing them about 1/8"-1/4" thick, soak 'em in milk or buttermilk for a little while, then dredge in seasoned flour, dip in egg wash, and dredge again in a mixture of cormeal and panko crumbs, then pan-fry them in some olive oil. They're like crack cocaine.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2014, 05:20:30 am »
Anyone ever fry the Zuc blossoms ? No.2 used to batter and fry blossoms along with Zuc slices. They were AWSOME ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Will H

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 08:50:53 pm »
Yeah bob we do that from time to time. Be sure and get the male flowers though. I like to stuff em with ricotta cheese and fry em up!!!
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline chamookman

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2014, 05:14:48 am »
Sounds good Will - gonna have to try that ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.