Author Topic: Brand new  (Read 1746 times)

Offline abrig005

Brand new
« on: July 16, 2014, 12:10:57 am »
Hello, I'm about to try my first arrowhead. Looking for some "tips" to get the arrowhead thin as you see in typical arrowheads. Is it just choosing the right flake or is it a combination of choosing the proper flake and pressure flaking? Thanks!!!

Stringman

Re: Brand new
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 10:51:34 am »
A little wisdom for ya... You won't build a Ferrari your first time out, and you won't build it with junk parts. But Ferrari's aren't the only cars on the road either. Take small steps and enjoy the journey. The more rock you break, the better you will understand the process. Don't be afraid to ask question and post pictures.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 11:15:30 am »
Today, there are all kinds of videos online to watch and get new folks closer to knapping than without. Scott gave realistic advice. Watch some videos and just start breaking rock. Good luck

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 04:21:59 pm »
You can begin with a thin flake and just trim around the edges with a pressure flaker.  That's the easiest way to start.  So, yes, choosing the right flake is important.  The hard part is trying to make an arrowhead from any flake that comes your way.  You will need advanced skills for that.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline abrig005

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 10:27:47 am »
Thanks!!!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 06:04:49 pm »
Get on you tube and watch lots of videos.  Better yet find someone local and watch them knap. Watching will advance your journey.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!