Author Topic: Arrow Shaft Straightening Jig  (Read 3352 times)

Offline cdpbrewer

Arrow Shaft Straightening Jig
« on: July 17, 2014, 10:51:22 am »
Here’s a jig to assist in assessing and fixing arrow shaft straightness.

I have a hard time finding where a mildly crooked arrow shaft needs straightening by sighting down the shaft due to my bad eyesight and strong progressive glasses.  This jig helps me.   While rolling a shaft in the jig, I watch the shaft in relation to the upper edge of the shelf bracket.    Makes it easy for me to see where along the shaft straightening is needed. 

Unfletched shafts are fitted with a temporary, friction-fitted nock which has four marks/numbers 90 degrees apart.  This helps determine,when re-rolling a shaft, if it was over-straightened in a botched straightening attempt and helps judge how much pressure to apply when straightening.

The bearings are intended for roller skates and such- they come in a pack of eight and were under $10.   The grease in them was really thick which made rolling a bit difficult- a soak in mineral spirits, drying, and then a brief soak in light oil fixed that.   The bearings require 5/16” diameter nuts, bolts and washers.  The brackets for the bearing was hacked from 1” x 1/8” aluminum angle stock.  The tee-nut and screw are 10-24.   The tee nut was hacked so it fit inside the shelf bracket.

c.d.

Offline ajbruggink

• Aaron Bruggink, Oostburg, WI, USA
Re: Arrow Shaft Straightening Jig
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 11:25:25 am »
I like this one, just what I was thinking about. I need something to help me straighten arrows as well. Thanks for posting :)

Offline GaryR

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 06:39:45 pm »
can you do a video?

Offline bow101

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 12:19:06 pm »
I have seen that set-up.  Another good reference is to roll the shaft on a piece of glass.  I use the window all the time for checking bow limb twist and flatness on pieces of wood.   Or you can just roll the shaft between your thumb and forefinger.
Seriously that jig is good.   8)
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell