Author Topic: Need recommendations of short bow draw length-please help!  (Read 2917 times)

Offline docmann

• Proud Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society
Need recommendations of short bow draw length-please help!
« on: July 19, 2014, 08:46:03 am »
Ran onto a beautifully (naturally) reflexed Osage that lends itself to about 50-51" in total length.  I've fashioned a horse bow with working handle and now on the home stretch with final tillering.
My dilemma is the draw length. I have a 28-29" draw length. I have made only a few short bows, but it seems I've heard that the draw length should never exceed 1/2 of bow's total length, which in this case would be about 25". This bow has all kinds of power and is holding its shape nicely through tillering. If like to make this a hunting bow and take it to 28".  Any comments or ideas? Would like to hear from anybody, especially anyone with experience with short bows.
Thanks!!!!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Need recommendations of short bow draw length-please help!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 08:49:02 am »
Most lose at least 1" of draw when shooting a working handle bow. Most rigid handle bows have 1.5-2" deep grips. Most working grips are under 3/4" deep. You will probably need 27" or so. If your bow is 50-51" in total length you will have 48-49" ntn. Even shorter.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline docmann

• Proud Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 01:55:51 am »
It took a minute or two for that to sink in, but you're right. Never occurred to me before just how that measurement  would change with a working handle. Any reason I might not get 27" out of a 49.5" NTN? Thanks for your insight.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 08:48:36 am »
Id add sinew if your intent on 27". I believe their is a stark difference between a bow simply holding together and a bow being healthy. There are a million opinions on it. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 08:34:46 pm »
Like Pearlie said, that is a pretty good Draw length for that short of a bow. If you don't sinew it and it holds together at that draw it will probably take a pretty good set due to wood stress, unless you have an exceptionly good piece of wood.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline redhawk55

• bowXplosion
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 06:29:40 am »
I´ve done several osage- flightbows measuring 44" in length but 23" draw. 50" and 28" is real stress even for an osage- bow.
Sinew- back it as said above.
What about adding recurves or otherwise long small tips for to get about 60" in length?
Michael
..........the way of underdoing.............