Author Topic: Digital Cameras  (Read 1907 times)

Offline bow101

Digital Cameras
« on: July 18, 2014, 12:14:48 pm »
I'm looking to buy a point and shoot Digital Camera for under $140 Canadian.  What is a good model....?  American price would be about $79.   8)
I'm steering towards Canon Power Shot, Panasonic Lumix,  must have at least 8X Zoom, don't need Wi-Fi .   
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline burchett.donald

Re: Digital Cameras
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 06:13:34 pm »
I have a lumix with leica lens 20x zoom and can't take decent pictures in low light...
                                                                                       Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 07:05:13 pm »
I've had a couple Panasonics and preferred them over the Canon I had before that.  Better colors I thought.   But if you ask 10 people you'll probably get 10 different answers. Kinda like asking "What's the best bow"...

Check out dpreview.com for some solid reviews.

Offline bow101

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 08:44:03 pm »
I've had a couple Panasonics and preferred them over the Canon I had before that.  Better colors I thought.   But if you ask 10 people you'll probably get 10 different answers. Kinda like asking "What's the best bow"...

Check out dpreview.com for some solid reviews.

Interesting, Panasonic is one of my favorite consumer goods out there. I have Panasonic appliances, their electronics are good.  They seem to spend a lot of time on design, the looks, appeal, user friendly, Quality, how it feels in the hand etc...
I have never been dissapointed with  Panasonic products or Toshiba & Samsung.  My flat screen is Samsung.  Laptop is Toshiba.  Had an old VHS machine that was Toshiba , indestructible Video machine.    :)

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 11:08:51 am »
I bought my late wife a Cannon Powershot, the lens sucked and vignetted (blurred) the outside edge of the picture, took it back to Sam's and got another, it did the same thing to a lesser degree. I kept the last Cannon, got tired of fooling with it.

Long story but here goes;

I bought a digital camera when they first came out, a Kodak Easyshare DX4530, cost $450 at the time as digitals were just out on the market. I used this camera for over 20 years, rock solid and really well made, took great pictures. Every picture you see me post on the net was taken with this model camera.

A couple of years ago my camera bit the dust, I was at a loss of what to do, then thought, eBay. Sure enough, there were tons of DX4530s up for sale at give away prices, I bought two in working order for less than $20 each. One of these cameras has since developed problems but the other is still going strong.

Kodak went out of the camera business so their software (very good) no longer works, my camera dock went to the trash. I now use a USB cord, Play Memories software and fuel my camera with AA batteries instead of rechargeables.

Out in the blueberry patch, picture taken with my DX4530, resizing for message boards takes away a lot of the clarity but still pretty good.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 10:32:29 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 10:32:45 am »
Update; I checked eBay and bid on another DX4530, my bid was $6, someone bid it up to $6.50, I let them have it as I didn't really need another one.

Offline bow101

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 08:15:08 pm »
I have settled on a Nikon cool pix S3600, cheap and does what I want.  $119 Canuck dollars. The technology is moving so fast 2 years down the road they will have more features at half the cost...... :)

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 08:57:25 pm »
I got a Nikon, it's pretty nice.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 09:29:57 pm »
I have a Kodak and really liked it, liked because I dropped it a couple times and it took offense.  What I liked about it was its timer function with sound, it lets you know when it's about to take the picture.  I picked up an HP off e-bay and even though it takes a slightly better quality picture it's timer function is silent.  The Kodak still works it's just become a bit temperamental so I tend to still use it when I can
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com