Author Topic: Dutch Oven recipe's  (Read 7716 times)

Offline JEB

Dutch Oven recipe's
« on: September 01, 2016, 10:54:21 am »
For you folks that use a Dutch oven, could you submit a few recipe's. I picked an oven up and want to give it a go this fall at hunting camp.

Offline Trapper Rob

Re: Dutch Oven recipe's
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 08:50:57 pm »
DUTCH GREEN PEPPER STEAK
3 cups stew meat or cut up steak
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 tsp. garlic
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/4 cup cooking oil
1 cup sliced green pepper
1 cup sliced onion
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup water
2 heaping tbsp. cornstarch
1 tomatoes (cut in wedges)
In dutch oven brown meat in the cooking oil. Add 1/4 cup water & simmer for 30 minutes. Mix cornstarch in 1 cup water & add all remaining ingredients to meat, except tomatoes. Cook until mixture thickens. About 15 minutes to warm through. Add tomatoes & serve with rice,potatoes.

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 09:02:55 pm »
WESTERN SAUCE FOR ALL MEAT
1 cup catsup
1/4 cup vinegar
2 tbsp. worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. liquid smoke
1/4 tsp. garlic
1 medium chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 cup stewed tomatoes
1/4 cup green peppers
Place all ingredients in dutch oven greased, & simmer until all vegetables are well done. Bacon grease will add to the flavor. when sauce is done, you can add pork spareribs, beef stew meat or ribs, any wild game, lamb, veal or fish. If you wish, you can spoon the sauce over already cooked meat to enhance its flavor. This sauce can also be used as a gravy over rice, potatoes.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 09:29:08 pm »
You know that lower part of a deer's front legs?  It's all bone, sinew, and very little meat?  Yeah, that part.  DO NOT EVER THROW IT AWAY, YOU BLOODY STUPID FOOL!

Use a meat saw and cut across them, sawing thru the bone.  The marrow in the bone is pure flavorous magic!  Saw them into inch thick cuts.  Freezing them almost solid makes it easier to saw.  If you do not have a meat saw, buy a brand new blade for your hacksaw and wash it in hot soapy water first.

Then warm the dutch oven up good, and toss in three strips of fatty bacon, diced up nicely.  When it has rendered out, scoop out the crispy meat bits and turn the heat up until the grease is at the smoke point.  Now carefully lay in these sections of the deer foreleg bone and all.  Get an awesome brown on one side, flip over and let it brown again, shutting the heat down to a more reasonable temp.  Use tongs or a spatula to remove the meat and set aside momentarily while you throw in a large onion sliced coarsely and the garlic.  Keep the onions stirring until they are well browned and put the meat back on top of them and pour in half or more of a bottle of good dry red wine.  Throw half to three quarters of a pound of mushrooms, grind some black pepper over that and sprinkle in some salt, but go lightly.  Toss back in what is left of the crispy bacon bits that you have been sneaking in pinches, you no good cheat.  Put the lid on top and slow cook this in an oven at 200 degrees for 5 hours or more.  Or light coals underneath and on top, for the hardcore dutchers. 

Serve this with home made noodles, baked potatoes, or over top toasted slices of sourdough baguette bread.  Be extremely careful to not lose the tiny greasy bit of marrow in the middle of the bone.  Scoop this out and spread it on bread, it's also called the butcher's butter.  All those tendons and ligaments turn into rich, tender, delicious gelatinous protein.

If you used lamb to do this, it would be called osso bucco and a restaurant with any integrity would charge you $45 for a plate.

2 whole deer shanks, sawn into 1" segments
3 strips fatty bacon
One large onion sliced
2 cloves garlic, smashed hard
1/2-3/4 lb mushrooms
1 bottle good dry red wine
salt & pepper to taste
optional, bay leaf, sprig of rosemary, herbs de provence

I had the chance to do this once with elk and my tongue did a pole dance on my palate out of sheer happiness.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2016, 03:49:46 am »
Wow - I'm gonna have to try that, sounds REALLY good ! But how did You know I was "cheatin'" on the Bacon bits ?  >:D O:)
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline neuse

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 07:06:14 am »
I am going this week to buy my fisrt outdoor dutch oven.
I have always had the stove top variety, now for something new.
Great recipes by the way.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 10:32:59 am »
Mountain Man Breakfast.

Bacon.
Sausage.
Eggs.
Potatoes.
Cheese.
Peppers.

Cook the meat almost all the way and drain off some of the grease.
throw in the Taters (Hashbrowns work, or sliced or diced).
Add the Peppers (Green for those of you with an aversion to the hot, other hot ones for those of you that like it).
Get the meat and Taters nice and cooked.
Add the eggs (Don't be scared, 8 or so should do nicely).
Stir it up till it looks cooked to the consistency you like.
Add Cheese, The more the better.
Eat. And then go back to bed. Your hunting for the day better be done, cause this will act just like a sleeping pill.

Once people eat my food they realize why i'm fat.  Never trust a skinny Chef!
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2016, 05:17:20 pm »
Mountain Man Breakfast.

Bacon.
Sausage.
Eggs.
Potatoes.
Cheese.
Peppers.

Cook the meat almost all the way and drain off some of the grease.
throw in the Taters (Hashbrowns work, or sliced or diced).
Add the Peppers (Green for those of you with an aversion to the hot, other hot ones for those of you that like it).
Get the meat and Taters nice and cooked.
Add the eggs (Don't be scared, 8 or so should do nicely).
Stir it up till it looks cooked to the consistency you like.
Add Cheese, The more the better.
Eat. And then go back to bed. Your hunting for the day better be done, cause this will act just like a sleeping pill.

Once people eat my food they realize why i'm fat.  Never trust a skinny Chef!

LOL!  Call 'em food coma dawn naps.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2016, 08:04:22 am »
Campfire D.O. fruit pie.

Grease the bottom of your oven.
Throw in a ready made piecrust (or make one for over achievers)
Add a can of your favorite pie filling or wild harvest berries made into filling if in season.
Put the top crust on and cut a few slits.
Put the lid on. 
Take a scoop of hot coals from the fire and spread them out off to the side.
Set the oven on top of a single layer of coals and set a few pieces on the lid.
You're trying to keep the temp between 300 and 350.
Check it often, it goes from not quite done to burnt to a crisp in about a half a beer's time.
It usually takes 20-30 minutes.
It's a little tricky doing pastry by campfire but it can be done.
I did burn the first one. This is not a set it and forget it dish.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2016, 04:40:24 pm »
Memphis style ribs cut into individual pieces after seasoned with a dry rub. Stack them on each other in a square with space between them. Then add about 9 pieces of Charcoal on top and push some around the bottom and in 25 minutes some of the best, non- greasy ribs you have ever ate.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2016, 12:39:05 pm »
here is one of my favorites.  everyone has a chili recipe.  Choose your won but DON'T skip on the cornbread part.  I was skeptical at first but I now i am a convert!

Scoutmaster Chili
Ingredients:
•   3 pounds of ground beef
•   1 large onion, diced
•   1 can of tomato Juice
•   2-6 cloves of garlic, minced
•   1/2 teaspoon of dried oregano
•   1 6-oz tomato paste
•   1 16-oz can of kidney beans or black beans
•   1-2 packets of chili powder mix
•   2 8.5-oz boxes of Jiffy cornbread (or any other corn bread mix you like)
•   (eggs and milk for the Jiffy cornbread mix)
•   Salt and black pepper
Directions:
Brown ground beef.  Add the beans, onions and garlic, chili powder, tomato juice (as needed), salt and pepper.  Cook until it boils.  Make the cornbread mix in a bowl according to box directions, and pour over the top of the chili.  Ensure it is somewhat thick and not runny.  Place the lid on top of the Dutch oven and place about 20 hot coals over the top of the lid.  Cook for about 10 minutes and check to see if the cornbread is done cooking by lifting the lid and poking a skewer through the cornbread. If it comes out clean the chili is done.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2017, 11:15:04 pm »
Jenb
Hope you got an oven with a good lip on the lid, it holds coals better.  Here's a recipe for stew: might take 2 Dutch ovens, though,  this should feed about 6 - 8
4lbs or so wild meat
8 lbs potatoes
2 + lbs of vegetables
Salt  and whatever other spices you like
Garlic (don't forget the garlic). :)

Biscuit mix or the pop can stuff if you want dumplings on top

Cut the meat and vegetables into small chunks, brown the meat, add veggies and spices
Bring the stew to a boil, then move to edge of the fire and simmer about an hour  check the taters, if you can stick them easily the stew is ready - taste it
If you are adding dumplings, cover the stew with dollops of dough, or the premade stuff about 15 minutes
Before you think the stew is ready.

You can make a Shepherd's Pie by holding the potatoes out and boiling them separately then mashing them
And covering the meat and veggies when about half done.  Still takes about an hour or so,  maybe two beers
Or so

You can also bake cakes carefully - line the DO with foil and fill with your favorite cake mix try to keep even heat, and check with toothpick, when it comes out clean, enjoy!!

Use your imagination, and eat hearty.   I haven't made cookies in a DO yet, but it would probably work.

Hawkdancer
When you are ready for a tall tale, I'll post my recipe for "Ronndyvoo Buffaler Stew"
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2017, 05:59:54 pm »
Cipaille
An old French recipe commonly made around here

1 LB Moose
1 LB Venison
1 Rabbit
1 Grouse
1 Large Onion
3 or 4 Potatoes, depending on how big they are
Salt and Pepper to taste
Pie dough to line the oven and make a crust

Cut the meat into small cubes and brown in a large skillet using lard.  Remove the meat and make gravy from the drippings

Dice the onions and cut the potatoes into cubes.

Roll out some of the pie dough and line the oven with it. Mix the meat, potatoes, onions and gravy together and put into oven.  Roll out more pie dough for the crust.  Cook for 2 or 3 hours in an oven or until crust is well cooked.

The original recipe called for 6 wild meats but those 4 are the most commonly used
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com