Author Topic: Advice Getting Started  (Read 3105 times)

Offline Tippecanoe41

Advice Getting Started
« on: July 21, 2014, 01:20:53 am »
Hey everybody.  I'm just getting into primitive archery and I'm looking for some advice in getting started.  Basically, I would like a place to start learning.  If anybody could recommend the best book for how to create bows, arrows, arrowheads, and so on, I'd appreciate your help as I start the hobby.  Thanks in advance. 

Offline Crogacht

Re: Advice Getting Started
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 01:27:24 am »
The Traditional Bowyers Bible Vol 1 - 4 is the best place to start as far as I'm concerned. I'd get 1 and 4 first if you can't get all 4 at once.

There are also various websites which are easy to find in a google search along with these forums.

Also, welcome :)

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 09:17:18 am »
If you can't afford to spring for the books, right now, there is a wealth of knowledge on this and other sites to help you get started.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline osage outlaw

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 08:22:39 pm »
Great short cuts Clint,...................
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline OTDEAN

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 09:50:16 am »
Pick up some tools and begin the learning.  Make mistakes and become your own expert.  Sooner or later you will gain the knowledge with your own hands and will know the subject in a way that no book can teach.  If you can learn from another that is probably the next best thing in my own experience, but once you have some basics from someone else, just make a start and save the cost of a book!

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 12:06:09 pm »
Depending on where you are on The Tippe, ya may ought to travel up to the Elm Hall shoot, http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,46636.0/topicseen.html
Positive there'll be number of folk to talk with and be steered in right direction.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 12:13:49 pm »
Do research and gather a lot of materials.  I had a patch of bamboo that I traded to get other materials.  Youtube is a good resource and a few of us on here have channels with how-tos.  Here's mine:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9l4lrfkOEV5iNSju5GxM_g
I say get materials because it takes a while for wood and cane to dry and you're probably ready to get going on this.  Check your local library for The Traditional Bowyers Bible.  If it's not there you can probably get them to transfer them to your library from another library in the county.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!