Author Topic: Recent discussions of NA Indian arrows  (Read 5314 times)

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
Recent discussions of NA Indian arrows
« on: July 22, 2014, 10:11:49 am »
There have been several discussions recently regarding NA Indian arrows. Since there were several different posts, I decided to post this separately. This is an Arapaho arrow from NMNH. It shows the low cut feathers that are commonly used on Plains arrows. It also shows the combined use of tail and wing feathers on the same arrow. It shows the use of feather barbs or "fibers" at the front of the fletching. And last, but not least, you can see the groove that has been put into the shaft.   Curtis

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: Recent discussions of NA Indian arrows
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 10:21:19 am »
Cool pic Curt!
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 10:33:05 am »
 8)  Good info!
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 10:14:48 pm »
Would mixing the wing & tail feathers make a difference how the arrow would fly since one is softer than the other.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 02:01:28 am »
Very cool.  Thanks for posting I always enjoy what you put on this site.

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 08:31:06 am »
Thanks guys, this gets me out of lurker mode every now and then.
Trapper Rob, good question, but I don't have a definitive answer for you. I've made a number of these, and they were very commonly done like this back in the day. With my personal experience, I haven't noticed a huge difference in mixing the feathers. Regardless of how I mix or match wings and/ or tails I have some that fly really well, and some that fishtail. I just make sure the top sides and bottom sides of each feather are facing the same direction. I don't use a fletchings jig, a spine tester or anything to determine weight, so I think these factors probably have more affect in the flight of mine. Back when I made a lot of arrows, I would just separate the good shooters from the poor ones.
I have often heard the argument that accuracy was not as critical for Plains Indians using shorter bows and riding right up beside their quarry. At one time I espoused the same notion, but I disagree with that idea today. Accuracy is important at a distance, and up close!       Curtis

Offline scattershot

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 01:16:40 pm »
Would mixing the wing & tail feathers make a difference how the arrow would fly since one is softer than the other.

I used to shoot with a guy who mixed plastic vanes and feathers, and it didn't seem to hurt his accuracy any. I can't recall now why he did that, but it worked.

Nice pic, BTW. What is the length of the fletching?
"Experience is just a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 05:38:10 pm »
That would definitely be a mix! The fletching on this one is right around 6 1/2 inches.   CC

Offline warpath

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 07:05:05 pm »
I've mixed tail and wing feathers with no effect on accuracy. As long as the feather veins of the tail feathers fall on the same side as they do on the wing feathers used, (right or left wing,) I've never encountered any problems.

G

Offline autologus

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 10:09:34 am »

I used to shoot with a guy who mixed plastic vanes and feathers, and it didn't seem to hurt his accuracy any. I can't recall now why he did that, but it worked.

Nice pic, BTW. What is the length of the fletching?

If he was shooting off the hand it was probably more comfortable for the feather to ride over the hand than a vane.  I have shot carbon arrows with vanes off the hand and I don't like it, it hurts.   :'(

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 12:38:13 pm »
I have often heard the argument that accuracy was not as critical for Plains Indians using shorter bows and riding right up beside their quarry. At one time I espoused the same notion, but I disagree with that idea today. Accuracy is important at a distance, and up close!

I have long disputed this notion as well.I have argued that anyone who says a rider shot wild buff at point blank range,has little experience with the animals.

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 11:21:11 pm »
Also, hunting elk, deer and other game often required longer shots. In warfare, many shots were not point blank.
I did find it interesting that a Hidatsa informant stated that they would hunt buffalo with a bow, but hunted deer with a rifle. By the mid-1860's, they had pretty decent access to guns and powder, though it was still considered a luxury to some degree. Buffalo, he says were hunted with a bow because of the multiple shots that were likely needed. Also, in a buffalo run your arrow cresting marked your kills. You had to be more stealthy with deer, and likely wouldn't get a second shot. The rifle was just considered more of a "sure deal" with the deer. CC
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 08:22:16 am by tipi stuff »