Author Topic: Braided Bow String  (Read 4401 times)

Offline flungonin

Braided Bow String
« on: July 22, 2014, 02:30:32 pm »
I have a question that hopefully someone has experience with bow strings can answer. I bought a old fiberglass bow off E---Y. The string is braided, (multiple strands 8-10?). The loop on one end is a timberhitch. The other end loop is adjustable first by removing it from the bow, then pulling on one side of the loop. This end of the string(loop) actually goes inside the braided part of the string. Once you have the adjusted length put it back on the bow. It works holding itself from slipping like Chinese Handcuffs. I make my own strings and also use cordage and such. But have never heard , read or come across this type of string before. So I'm wondering on how to make it. The part of the string (loop)  goes back into the string about 4". Once the string is pulled out any distance, it can't be pushed back in cause the braid collaspses and you get the Chinese Handcuff effect.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Braided Bow String
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 08:16:27 pm »
Never seen one like that but it sounds like someone spliced the loop into the braided string.  You can do the splice by attaching a needle on each strand and then using the needles to pry apart the strands in the braid.  Regular ropes and strings are spliced in the same way.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline flungonin

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 08:51:02 am »
This is not spliced. The end of the string is slid  inside the braided round string. Like I said, to adjust the lenght of string you have to take tention off the bowstring by removing it from the bow.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 10:08:55 am »
That looks like the way they made spectra strings for compounds early 90's..
You take a glovers needle and pull the tag through the inside of the string.. only thing is that you should sew the tag to the string to avoid slipping.. same as making a docking rope
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline flungonin

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 01:48:24 am »
Thanks. I take it the Glovers needle is like a big upholstry needle?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 08:52:51 pm »
I've done the same thing with Lock-on tree stands. Using braided rope you insert the end back inside while pushing the rope together so it slides. About 4 or 5 inches down you pull it back through the side and lock it in.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Stoker

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 03:16:55 pm »
Thanks. I take it the Glovers needle is like a big upholstry needle?

Yes
Thanks leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Zuma

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 10:48:55 pm »
I wish I had the aptitude for braiding, knots and cool stuff like your bow string.
I got some sort of dyslexia in that department.
Could be my older brother tied me up on the coffee table like the TV cowboys did.
But I rolled off and broke my collar bone.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline flungonin

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 02:59:28 am »
Going thru many Web sites Dailey I saw a video on a rope that was exactly what I was looking for and it was shown in detail.  Only been looking since the 22nd. Thanks guys for your input.