Author Topic: the George Washington bow  (Read 5502 times)

Offline tom sawyer

the George Washington bow
« on: July 22, 2014, 08:59:53 pm »
This will be the story of my attempt to make a mulberry longbow.  The wood came from an older tree growing in an old cemetery that I lived across from.  It was pushing over the headstone of on George Washington, who happened to be the fire chief of Hannibal in the early 1900s.  I asked the arborist for the butt log and he was only too happy to comply.  I tried to make a few bows with this wood and they all broke so I'm not getting my hopes up too much.  This last attempt is using a set of sister billets, they are well seasoned now since the tree WA s cut nearly 10 yr ago.

I cut the Z splices for these billets for a mojam demo, and glued them with resort ol last night.  Everything  went well save for one little snafu.  I forgot the billets were about 42" long, so the stave is 80" long!  Little too long for me.  I'd cut it down but the tips have a wonderful little flip so I'm going to cut the splice out and re-splice.  That or I can just make a pole vault pole.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline tom sawyer

Re: the George Washington bow
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 09:09:43 pm »
A little long for the "tall as the man" rule of thumb.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 09:11:32 pm »
This may work to my advantage since I think I may use an elb style rather than American longbow. This stuff is light as yew.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 10:33:57 pm »
If they have been breaking you may be better off going with the longer length. Will Thompson shot a bow 6' 6" long.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 11:07:32 pm »
I'll keep my eye on this, I saw you cutting those out!
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 06:01:10 am »
Hadn't seen you on in a while Lennie,good to see ya back. :) I am also working on a Mullberry,not quite as long tho. ;) ;D ;D You are right,light as a feather. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 09:44:19 am »
I mostly lurk Pappy, I go in spurts on making stuff these days.  Spend more time processing wood than building bows.

6'6" is one long bow!
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 04:38:12 pm »
If they were tension failures then you may want to consider a shallow D section bow.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 08:59:36 am »
Unfortunately I don't recall what the failures were due to Marc, it may well be that I was trying to use a design ill-suited to a lightweight wood like this.  I'm going to try a true longbow design with the cross-section you mention.  I may even back it, I have rawhide in the shop although I don't know if the strips are 36" long.  That'd probably be a wise move.

Respliced the bow last night, so its now about 72".  I made the splice 1 1/4" wide this time so I can use that as my full width, which is very nearly as wide as the rest of the billet anyway.  I pulled the clamps off this morning and set it out on the porch so it can finish curing in a nice warm spot.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline SamIAm

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 09:13:28 am »
Good luck Lennie.  I'll be watching this one too.  I've got a Mulberry in my yard; just waiting till it gets a little bigger to cut.  It's only about 6" in diameter right now.
"To thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 10:08:24 am »
Yours should be getting close then, I prefer a younger smaller tree.  8" is great for hedge or any wood with a sapwood you're goign to remove.  I think they tend to be stronger and have somewhat less diseases, inclusions etc.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 10:17:40 am »
Hey Lennie,
I think an 80" long bow would have looked pretty cool. Looking forward to seeing where this goes Amigo.
Oh,I might have some 36" rawhide strips down in the shop. (If the mice didn't get them.. >:( )
I'll check and post later.

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 09:06:23 pm »
Pulled out a pair of rawhide backings I got from Mike Yancey some time ago.  38" each, sweet.  Roughed the shiny surface off the bow back, cut the backing strip to size and soaked in water, made up some hide glue from gelatin, sized the bow back and hide strip and applied then wrapped with string to hold it down.  Seemed to work well, having enough glue let's you easily squeeze out air bubbles and extra glue.  Also helps greatly if the hide isn't larger than the back.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 09:11:45 pm by tom sawyer »
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2014, 09:21:54 pm »
Pics.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 10:24:29 pm by tom sawyer »
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2014, 11:16:58 pm »
Sure are making some progress with this one. Looks good.