Author Topic: the George Washington bow  (Read 5602 times)

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
Re: the George Washington bow
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2014, 04:16:41 am »
Looks cool, I'll be watching the project. That 72" is still a long bow. What weight are you aiming for?
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2014, 12:21:22 pm »
I'm going to shoot for 45-50lb, I just don't see this wood producing a 60lber.  If it turns out decent I might try my hand at a set of horn nocks.  Thats something I haven't done, I have three sets of horn for these and it'd be good to try before I work on my yew.

I scratched up the bow back and rawhide surfaces with a hacksaw blade, and then realized that hide glue probably works best on smooth surfaces.  I suppose getting any finish off is a good thing though, the bow was probably coated with a little shellac.  I pulled the string off this morning and the rawhide seems to be stuck tight, didn't see any air bubbles either.

Paul, I'm trying to keep a little of that MOJAM excitement going and get something done for a change.  The sinewed bow is drying up pretty well, didn't pull into a lot fo reflex though.  Maybe I should've back-strung it a bit.  I haven't done anything with the hackberry bow, I might toast the belly and slap a finish on it this weekend and call it done.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2014, 01:12:21 pm »
Sounds cool, Tom Sawyer. I to am trying to keep up the excitement. Been xworking on some things a little myself. Might even get together with Eric on Saturday.

I'm waiting to see that sinew bow you done at mojam, I'm wanting to do another one myself.
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2014, 02:09:43 pm »
Here's the backing.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2014, 04:24:38 pm »
That turned out real well Lennie.
This one and those other bow projects ought to keep you busy enough till next year's Mojam. ;)

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2014, 06:44:21 pm »
When I saw "George Washington Bow" I was sure it was going to be a post about a bow built from an illegally cut and pilfered Cherry tree!

OneBow

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2014, 12:38:53 am »
Unlike GW, I can tell a lie.  But this tree did push over GW's headstone.  This was in an old Baptist cemetery that included graves of several Confederate soldiers, and a couple of Mark Twain's relatives.  I lived across the street, and in spite of firing off black powder pistols and a couple of small incendiary devices, nobody complained.  We also shot bows in the cemetary.  It was a fun place.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2014, 08:54:44 pm »
Cut the blank out and got it close to floor tillered.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2014, 09:18:55 pm »
Front profile.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2014, 11:30:42 pm »
nice one Lennie!  You always do a great job on your demonstrations.  Thanks my friend.
Bob
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2014, 11:27:20 am »
Appreciate the kind words Bob.  I'm doing this less as a demo, more as a way to keep notes for myself.  And it also gives me an incentive to keep working on the project.  I'm going on vacation later this week, I'm hoping to get a decent tiller on this by then.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2014, 11:30:15 am »
It sure is looking good Lennie. Hope you guys have fun on vacation.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2014, 11:47:06 am »
You certainly have that one coming along.  I've had really bad luck (...aka inadequate skills) with Black Walnut myself.  So, I'm excited to see you have success with it!  :)

OneBow