Author Topic: Advice Getting Started  (Read 1562 times)

Offline Tippecanoe41

Advice Getting Started
« on: July 21, 2014, 01:22:28 am »
Hey everybody.  I'm just getting into primitive archery and I'm looking for some advice in getting started.  Basically, I would like a place to start learning.  If anybody could recommend the best book for how to create bows, arrows, arrowheads, and so on, I'd appreciate your help as I start the hobby.  Thanks in advance. 

Offline JEB

Re: Advice Getting Started
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 08:46:46 am »
Check with your local archery clubs and see if you have any traditional/primitive archers as members and make a connection with them. You can also use google and youtube to get a lot of help.

Where are you located? In my home town in west Michigan we have anywhere from 4 to 8 guys get together every Thursday night to work on self bows.  Some flint knap and we make arrow shafts on some nights.  I am sure this happens all over the United States.  You just have to ask around

Good luck with your new endeavor and welcome aboard. 

Offline TRACY

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 10:09:26 am »
The Traditional Bowyers Bibles volume 1-4 would be a good start for you. Welcome aboard! Are you from Indiana ?

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 01:14:50 pm »
Welcome to the addiction - get out while you stil can! >:D

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 06:26:27 pm »
You have stumbled onto the best book on the subject right here.  This forum is the best place to start!  There is more information here than in 100 books.  Seriously.

If you are brand new and never made bow and arrow before, you are in for quite a ride.  Most books are for advanced craftsman, so you will quickly get overwhelmed if you dive in.  Start slowly and just make things, break thinks, and have fun with it.   ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr