Author Topic: Pickled Apples  (Read 12370 times)

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
Pickled Apples
« on: July 24, 2014, 12:04:55 am »
Last week I decided to pickle some apples. 2 cups vinegar, 1 cup brown sugar, a dozen or so whole cloves, and a tablespoon of cinnamon. 3 large Pink Lady apples, cored and sliced into rings. I am surprised at the outcome. They are great plain, and I bet they would be even better on some vanilla ice cream. 
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline autologus

Re: Pickled Apples
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 10:03:36 am »
Pickled apples are good but pickled peaches are awesome.  We always used to pickle Indian peaches, these are cling peaches with a deep red flesh and fairly tart and sometimes a little astringent but boy do they make good pickled peaches.  These are usually available in late August and early September.  I don't think you will find any in the supermarkets, you will have to go to orchards and get lucky.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 11:36:11 am »
Grady, save the pits from the Indian peaches. They are not hybrid so you can plant the seed and they will grow into a tree that will produce Indian peaches.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 01:09:58 pm »
Have you ever tried ham baked with pickled peaches? It's so go it might be illegal! Bet the apples would be great to?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 01:18:16 pm »
Gonna run off a batch of those pickled apples soon!

I would kill for a couple of those Indian Peaches.  They sound really good.  I generally abhor fruit served with meat, never had it growing up and it just seems wrong.  HOWEVER, slice a peach in half, remove pit, dip the cut edge in taragon and sage infused olive oil and place cut side down over very hot coals until the flesh starts to carmelize.  Serve with grilled pork!  I am smoking some boston butts this weekend for Sunday nite gathering and I am going to serve up grilled peaches on the side. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline autologus

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 02:54:16 pm »
You are exactly right Pat, there is no need to graft to a root stock with them they are a native species.  I haven't had any pickled Indian peaches in years, it is hard to find them because most orchards focus mainly on the hybrid varieties and do not grow many heirloom species, especially Indian peaches since they are not the greatest to eat raw.

Grady

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 07:16:04 pm »
I will ask around at the farmers market. If I can find any i'll throw some together and send you a pint!

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 08:55:24 pm »
I think I may be addicted to making pickles. I made Apricots and Peaches yesterday, and Zucchini today. I also grilled a peach last night, and I must say, WOW. I asked the girl at the farmers market about red fleshed peaches, she didn't know. I ended up getting about 3 pounds of peaches and 4 pounds of apricots for $7.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 09:25:33 pm »
Yeah, I get that reaction from people that have never grilled a peach before.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 10:14:26 pm »
I like to dip the flesh side if the peach in sugar and put that side down till it gets some nice char lines, put a nice scoop of good vanilla ice cream in the center and drizzle a little molasses on it, man that's good
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 10:28:49 pm »
I bet the molasses really sets the flavor off. I'll try that tomorrow!

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 01:35:54 pm »
Holy cow that sounds good! Guess I gotta go buy some peaches on the way home now!

Offline autologus

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 02:24:18 pm »
If you are looking for those Indian peaches I was talking about, you will have to wait until late August to early September they are the last ones to come off.

Grady

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2014, 02:36:17 pm »
Ok, I'll keep asking. The pickled peaches are good, but the zucchini is about the best pickle I have ever eaten.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2014, 05:30:35 am »
Was going to pick up so Peaches - they were on sale 10 for $10.00  :o ! Needless to say, I came Home Peachless. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.