Author Topic: First arrows  (Read 3559 times)

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
First arrows
« on: July 24, 2014, 07:36:53 pm »
2 fletch vs. 3? Cheap easy to obtain tip material? Fletch Length and height? How do you grind feathers? I have made 3 bamboo arrows, with a 3 fletch pattern, and using turkey feathers. I have about 2 pounds of turkey feathers from a friends turkey this spring. Any info is great. Thanks.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
Re: First arrows
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 07:49:22 pm »
I use both 2 and 3 fletch. If your shafts are spined properly for the bow the 2 fletch is the way to go IMO. Cheaper, easier, faster. I generally use 5" about 1/2"+high but have used from 3 to 6" and that's all personal preference. If trimming the feathers by hand I trim lower but most of mine are set at the lowest end of my choppers .
Check out PrimitiveTim's videos and others on youtube. Lot's of good stuff available. Just do a google search.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 07:53:19 pm »
Thanks again Fred!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 08:22:43 pm »
Look through the "How To..."section.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JEB

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 08:57:19 pm »
I use 3 fletch, 4" or 5" depending on the hunting point.  I have a commercial feather grinder so I grind my own feathers. Also have several choppers with different style of cuts and I have a feather burner.

Keep in mind I have been at this for 50 plus years so I have accumulated a lot of "stuff".

You can also check you tube and watch posts for hours on how to make an arrow.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 10:04:48 pm »
Look through the "How To..."section.

I agree ..........many options and combinations.    Try some and see what works for you.... :) ;)
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 03:27:53 pm »
I almost always use a two fletch on cane and I make my own wood tips for stump shooting and stone for when I need to kill something.  I made a video on my process for the eastern two fletch.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQQ2gTEzsWU&list=UU9l4lrfkOEV5iNSju5GxM_g
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 11:41:56 pm »
Ok, question number two. The first set of 3 I have complete are Red Oak, 3/8ths, glue on knocks, two fletch. I have 112 grain tips on them now. The total arrow weight is 582 grains. They seem to shoot well out of my 54# bow. Would you raise or lower the weight?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 12:49:01 am »
Your total weight is fine. More tip weight will give better arrow flight but it will also increase the total weight. 3/8" dowels are a tad big for arrows. IMO. Smaller diameter with the same spine would be a little better.   It's time to try self nocks too. They are easy if you take your time and way more reliable and durable than plastic nocks.
  Now is a good time to find shoot shafting while it is in leaf and in fruit(easy identification). You won't harvest until after the leaves drop(you can but better arrows later). Shrubs or small trees like red osier dogwood, pagoda (alternate leaf) dogwood, silky dogwood, gray or rough leaf dogwood, native viburnums, hazel nut, switch, river or hill cane, exotic bamboos, tomato stakes bamboo(Tonkin), sourwood shoots and probably many more will make very good arrows and will teach you how to make an arrow.  Where do you live? There are probably local shoots and/or cane right around the corner.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 01:27:12 am »
You should have a lot of wild rose around your area.  I love that stuff.  It really makes a good durable shaft.  The only thing is if you get them too early in growth a year to two then the pith is a little larger.  Better to get thicker ones and scrape them down to size.  But there are plenty of other shoots, I just love the rose.  I am working my first dogwood right now.  It is quite nice but seems to be a little softer,  smaller pith though.  There's all ways trade offs.  Have fun, arrows are very relaxing to make.

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 09:45:26 am »
Pat, I'm in Utah. How does willow russian olive or Tamerisk work? I have made some out of bamboo, with self knocks. I just got excited and did the Red Oak. I also have some Spruce and Poplar as well.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 09:59:44 am »
I don't know the plants in your area. I'd say cut some appropriate shoots, bind them together, let them dry for a month or so and give them a try. If horse weed, goldenrod and dog fennel will make good arrows almost anything will.
 Some of the western Native Americans used willow for arrow. I've tried an eastern variety(black I think) and he arrows came out thick and weak. The western varieties must be stronger.

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 10:29:22 am »
I haven't messed around with the ones i have cut too much. The Bamboo flies great, but so does the red oak, even though a little slower than the bamboo.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2014, 12:22:33 pm »
Bamboo arrows are generally faster due to their quicker recovery.   I've never tried red oak but poplar or birch dowels should make good arrows too.